VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I made the mistake of agreeing to edit a play that I didn't record. It looks as if it was recorded on a VHS tape, but it wasn't. I have the Adobe Suite and I'm fairly familiar with it but I've never ran into an issue like this. I'm not looking to make it perfect, just slightly better. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
    http://youtu.be/MlstYL9IOd4
    Quote Quote  
  2. Holy sh..! Run away!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by tyrophagia View Post
    I made the mistake of agreeing to edit a play that I didn't record. It looks as if it was recorded on a VHS tape, but it wasn't.
    Pray, then, what was it recorded to? That is, what video format are you working with?

I have the Adobe Suite and I'm fairly familiar with it but I've never ran into an issue like this. I'm not looking to make it perfect, just slightly better. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
    http://youtu.be/MlstYL9IOd4
    The only reasonably priced (i.e, free) tool I know of that could work with it is Avisynth. It wouldn't be Adobe.

Did you notice that the frames are geometrically warped?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tyrophagia View Post
    I have the Adobe Suite and I'm fairly familiar with it
    Do what you can with warp stabilizer in After Effects -- but this will never look good.

edit: Can't put my finger on it, but I suspect someone already tried to stabilize this with blunt tools like YouTube and added more damage. Is this the original?
    Last edited by smrpix; 16th Jan 2015 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, I use After Effects but never used warp Stabilizer (forgot about that). But smrpix is correct: it's wrecked.

We couldn't work with a UTube piece anyway. No telling what they did to it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Looks like someone set an in-camera effect. 'Ripple', something like that. I doubt it can ever be reverse engineered.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 16th Jan 2015 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Pray, then, what was it recorded to? That is, what video format are you working with?
    AVCHD Video (.MTS)

Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Did you notice that the frames are geometrically warped?
    I have not checked on that.

Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Can't put my finger on it, but I suspect someone already tried to stabilize this with blunt tools like YouTube and added more damage. Is this the original?
    No... this is the original video straight from the video card.

Thank you all for suggestions and comments. I knew I wouldn't be able to make this perfect. I just wanted to at least minimize the affects of it. I'll try Warp Stabilizer in After Affects and see what I can do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DeShaker in VirtualDub has some rolling shutter compensation. That will help with the jello effect once you figure out what setting to use.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Can't put my finger on it, but I suspect someone already tried to stabilize this with blunt tools like YouTube and added more damage. Is this the original?
    No... this is the original video straight from the video card.
    Mmm, probably not. The Utube mp4 has been resized to 640x360 progressive at a 690 kbps bitrate. That's not valid for AVCHD. I doubt the camera shot it that way. But, whatever.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a quick Stabilization with ffmpeg. It's better, but it still sucks....

Script:
    Code:
    SET PATH="D:\FFMpeg\64-bit"
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vf vidstabdetect=shakiness=10:accuracy=15:result="%%~na.trf":show=0 -an -f null NUL
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vf vidstabtransform=crop=black:input="%%~na.trf" -c:v libx264 -level 40 -pix_fmt yuv420p -crf 20 -c:a copy "stabil_%%~na.mp4"

pause
    Result:
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Here is a quick Stabilization with ffmpeg. It's better, but it still sucks....
    WOW! Absolutely wow! That is exactly what I was looking for. I knew I wouldn't be able to get it perfect, but that is better than I expected. I will use this method to stabilize the rest of the video. Thank you so very much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by altarvic View Post
    Seriously........I doubt that $200 s/w is as good as DeShaker (free) for VirtualDub or even the Stabilizer filter in ffmpeg (also free). I can't stand when people claim something is "Great" without providing proof!

Show us what Mercalli can do on that source....................
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mercalli did a great job removing the rolling shutter jello effect. I think it could have used more stabilization but I assume that could be adjusted.

I used DeShaker in VirtualDub to further stabilize your Mercalli video as an example.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Jan 2015 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mercalli does handle rolling shutter better in this example, but it's not enough to justify the $200 expense in my opinion. Here is a direct comparison between Mercalli and DeShaker with rolling shutter @ 50%.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!