VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking for a Ventilated external casing for my Seagate Exos X18 18TB (7200rpm) which tends to overheat when using for long periods of time on my current non-ventilated external casing (by Blueray).

I found this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Aluminium-External-Cooling-Tool-Free/dp/B07D72Z4XD

However, it is stated that the maximum drive size is 16TB. Is this an Amazon misinformation or will I have issues using my drive with this enclosure?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    tugatomsk
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Its capacity is irrelevant to its physical size, other than regards heat dissipation or possibly if it has some form of logical translation (it would be pretty lame if it did - there is nothing special about the 16TB mark).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The maximum drive capacity on a SATA to USB enclosure is determined by what the enclosure's USB-SATA bridge can handle. [Edit] Sometimes this number reflects the largest drive tested with the device, not the point after which the device fails to perform adequately.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Aug 2022 at 20:17.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Aahh, makes sense. Shortsighted manufacturers.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for the replies. It did seem strange to me that rather specific limitation.

What also puzzles me is the lack of offer in the computer marker regarding ventilated external hard drive enclosures. Is there any reason for it other than low demand?
    Last edited by tugatomsk; 11th Aug 2022 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tugatomsk View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. It did seem strange to me that rather specific limitation.

What also puzzles me is the lack of offer in the computer marker regarding ventilated external hard drive enclosures. Is there any reason for it other than low demand?
    Low demand is probably at fault. Due to the popularity of laptops, portable USB drives, powered by their USB connection alone, have become more desirable. HDD enclosures that draw power from a wall outlet are great for use at home with high-capacity storage drives but aren't as portable. I have a few air-cooled enclosures at home to provide additional storage for my HTPC. They haven't been easy to find for several years.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Aug 2022 at 12:30.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tugatomsk View Post

Primarily cost, but also noise and an additional point of failure, leading people to downvote the product.. "Manufacturer externals don't have a fan, so why should I pay extra for a a case with one?" It's a fact that cases without a fan or not made out of metal run hotter, but they're still within the manufacturer's specs and the manufacturers give a shorter warranty on externals with that in mind. WD and Seagate* sell higher quality premium externals with better cases with fans. But price the fanless externals as a rock bottom prices to be competitive with each other on the low end market.

*WD owns G-Drive/G-Technology/Sandisk Pro and Seagate owns LaCie.
    Quote Quote