VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently got a cheap usb hdmi capture device that does its job. I now want an adapter that get signal from rca and outputs to hdmi, so i can capture content from old plaback devices, like vhs casette players, old retro video game consoles and such. I found some cheap converters where im at, that are mostly labeled as upsacalers. Would something like this do the job?

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/26740340/HDMI2AV-%CE%9C%CE%B5%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%84%CF%81%CE%BF%C...ale-Black.html

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9334429/%CE%9C%CE%B5%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%84%CF%81%CE%BF%CF%80%CE%A...FTT14-004.html

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/29476653/%CE%9C%CE%B5%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%84%CF%81%CE%BF%CF%80%CE%...C-DM-0983.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forget about these cheap crap devices, specs are all over the place, your cheap (USB?) HDMI capture device too.
    Better first get your VCR video signal stable with passthrough device, (or use combo recorder) then buy good quality converters (no consumer ones) and buy good HDMI recorder or good HDMI capture/transfer card. (no USB device) this way you have a good starting point … do some google research, also give more info about your recent computer hardware specs.
    There's already lots of info in the forums, don't expect a ready made answer, lots of things depends on your effort and budget.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is zero reason to use HDMI whatsoever. All downsides, no benefits.

Leave SD as SD.

Also note that videotapes have different needs than video games, in terms of the capture hardware/settings. Nothing can "do both" with quality or accuracy.

Your budget for video gear should match the budget for a nice desktop computer, not the budget for lunch.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    I recently got a cheap usb hdmi capture device that does its job. I now want an adapter that get signal from rca and outputs to hdmi, so i can capture content from old plaback devices, like vhs casette players, old retro video game consoles and such. I found some cheap converters where im at, that are mostly labeled as upsacalers. Would something like this do the job?
    To capture video from a console with a cheap device should be no problem, i captured from my Sony PSP handheld, with it's adapter cable, with no problem, but that's because the signal of such a game console is already stable, unlike many normal VHS vcr's a vcr depends on mechanical parts, and a tape that has drop-outs.
    Capturing with a computer has a learning curve, but even then there are very few good capture devices to choose from, also USB is not a good interface to use, because of it's Universal nature….
    If you want something "easy" to do, expect to spend some money, but not thousands… or have a non-consumer converter and a good HDMI "capture" PCI card, because then video levels will be set like they should for most of the part… plus you can use a recent operating system like Window$
    btw. using HDMI directly from a consumer device will not work (most of the time) you still need a HDMI passthrough device to beat HDCP an handshaking from HDMI, and…. good HDMI cables are needed, a lot depends also on what equipment you already have. investing in some different vcr machines from the thrift stores is very useful, some old tapes might not track that good, which has effect on the HiFi and linear audio tracks, different vcr's have different features, you could do some research in that, this will help you to get better capture results.
    Maybe it's wise for you, to start capturing from a game console, you will have more luck with that, and you learn the basics, without many disapointments,
    Game consoles can also have different resolutions and aspect ratio's, analog vcr video is mostly a 4:3 ratio, or widescreen letterboxed within that.
    But capturing gameplay has also special forum groups ofcourse.
    Do some experiments, and report back, with where you ran into trouble.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 12th May 2023 at 04:23.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I have this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002989919108.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_...21ef18027xrxMc and i use it to conect a VCR to 4k TV and a projector with a 4x2 HDMI matrix and it works very good
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Capture isn't playback (or a projector).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I have this capture card https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001599431974.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_...21ef18027xrxMc and it works good with that adapter for capture analog signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by multitech View Post
    I have this capture card https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001599431974.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_...21ef18027xrxMc and it works good with that adapter for capture analog signal.
    That's not a capture card, but a HDMI dongle, much will depend on the input signal and the software that it is used with, it will be seen as a webcam device…
    the software should set a fixed frame rate… and more, otherwise you have to do a lot in post, so which software you used, will mean night and day for any result.
    In combination with a cheap converter it also give you 720 or 1080 widescreen aspect ratio, because the cheap converters will not output 480i or 576i
    You will get also extra noise in the video image, which you also need to remove.
    The scaling is also not needed, it doesn't add value to the picture quality, any converting PAL/NTSC is not needed, once it's digital.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 13th May 2023 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote