VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.
    I have some videos that I want to render with x264 from Vegas and put into mp4 container and I cannot figure out some issues. I couldn't find a clear explanation on the internet either. First I tried to Frameserve to MeGui, but then it doesn't support variable frame rate and audio gets out of sync. This is one place I got stuck. Then I tried to use x264vfw in vegas and after rendering to AVI, rewrap it with the commands I got from a user here on the forum, but that also gives an error.

The line was following: -i myfile.avi -vcodec copy -acodec libvo_aacenc -b:a 320k -ac 2 -ar 48000 -o outputfile.mp4
    The error I'm getting is:

Unrecognized option 'o'.
    Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

So then I ran it without -o and it worked, but some error was there and I want to clarify it:
    [mp4 @ 0000000005ed29e0] Codec for stream 0 does not use global headers but container format requires global headers

The files is mp4 and seems to be ok, but I'm completely green in ffmpeg and just not sure is this is the way to do it?

In one sense I would like to use Frameserving to MeGui to do lanczos resizing (and if anything else needs to be added) but how to get variable framerate accepted?
    Last edited by Srivas; 30th Aug 2015 at 11:33. Reason: Variable frame rate, not bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  2. Vegas doesn't support VFR - so I don't know why you are doing this ? Or are you confusing VFR for VBR (frame rate vs. bit rate) ?

It should be fine with ffmpeg (x264 uses -o for the output syntax, ffmpeg does not). But if you are using it for progressive streaming (eg. on your own website) you need to add -movflags faststart , otherwise it won't play right away (it moves the moov atom to the beginning). Another option is to re-wrap with mp4box (GUI's are yamb beta 2, or mymp4boxgui), but it looks like you're encoding audio which they don't do
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi poison!
    No, I meant variable frame rate, but then if Vegas doesn't support it, how does it handle such files? I guess it is variable since that what MediaInfo says:
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 29.664 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 30.334 fps

Vegas says that the frame rate is 30.009. Is that the average that Vegas guessed? And the reason I also think it's variable is because if I send it to MeGui and render, the files is out of sync even if I tell that the frame rate is 30.009

But in any case it is working with ffmpeg. Thanks for the tip about moov atom!

And yes, audio has to be encoded since in Vegas I can only put the x264 encoded file into Avi with PCM audio. There are other formats but not for mp4, so PCM is the best option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. mediainfo isn't always correct. For one thing, AVI doesn't support VFR

If you are using megui, add assumefps(30) (or whatever framerate it's supposed to be) to the end of the script. The source filter you are using might be "confused" .

When you encode with x264vfw , it also doesn't hurt to add --fps 30 --force-cfr to the extra commandline box (or whatever framerate it's supposed to be)

But to answer your other question - When importing true VFR files to vegas, you often get other problems like sync issues (there are missing frames so audio is longer)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, it could be that your sync issues are further upstream with Vegas' import.

I strongly suggest checking your sources and converting ANY VFR sources to CFR prior to import into Vegas (or any other major NLE).

And I agree with pdr's assesment of what to do on the output - FORCE it to CFR in the script/commandline. VFR is just a PITA all around, with no appreciable benefit over using simple VBR (which doesn't have those problems). Get it out of your workflow.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Can you suggest a GUI for ffmpeg? It would be nice to save a template for the rewrapping.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Srivas View Post
    Can you suggest a GUI for ffmpeg? It would be nice to save a template for the rewrapping.
    Try ffqueue

If you're doing this often, it might even be easier to setup a batch file
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I strongly suggest checking your sources and converting ANY VFR sources to CFR prior to import into Vegas (or any other major NLE).

And I agree with pdr's assesment of what to do on the output - FORCE it to CFR in the script/commandline. VFR is just a PITA all around, with no appreciable benefit over using simple VBR (which doesn't have those problems). Get it out of your workflow.

Scott
    Thanks. That makes it even more clear. By the way, how do you convert into CFR? Anyway, I'll figure it out.
    Last edited by Srivas; 28th Aug 2015 at 13:03.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Srivas View Post
    Try ffqueue

If you're doing this often, it might even be easier to setup a batch file
    That works perfect! Nice little tool.

But to answer your other question - When importing true VFR files to vegas, you often get other problems like sync issues (there are missing frames so audio is longer)
    That's exactly the case. Audio is indeed longer than video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If source video is truly VFR, you can try converting it to CFR with avisynth's DirectShowSource and convertFPS=true . It will attempt to introduce duplicate frames in approximately the correct locations where they were dropped in the first place to create the VFR file and keep everything in sync. It's not perfect , it still might go slightly in and out of sync, but it will be much better

If the base frame rate was supposed to be 30, use fps=30 . You could use something like vdub or ffmpeg to create an intermediate file for import into vegas.

eg.
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("VFRsource.mp4", fps=30, convertfps=true)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Likely it wouldn't be exactly 30, but more accurately 29.97 (or even better 30000/1001), unless it was generated by some PC-centric device. Adjust accordingly (and do some tests to see which has better sync).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Maybe it is somewhat out of time, but I have now a problem:
    I've just acquired a Waterproof Intova DUB camera, whom video footage is recorded at HD 1080 but with a Variable Frame Rate (VFR), and all my footage is going out of sync of audio when imported to Vegas.
    I have tried to Transcode it using HandBrake, but Output seems to have problems playing In Vegas, I don't know the settings that will work best.
    Has someone used this footage, that can help me find?
    Quote Quote