VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first post so if it's inappropriate in any way, please let me know.

I'm an old movies buff with a pretty big dvd and blu-ray collection that I'd like rip to external hard drives with my laptop. But I have an obstacle to overcome.

The on-board blu-ray drive on my 2009, windows 7 laptop will play my old DVD's (I don't know if it would play any new ones), but it won't play any of my commercial Blu-rays. The blu-ray disc appears in windows explorer, but media players give an error message, such as "This Blu-ray disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it". I guess it's just too old to have modern digital rights management libraries. Unfortunately I'm strapped for cash and buying new hardware isn't possible at this time.

Without getting a new optical drive or computer, I was hoping it might still be possible to rip my blu-rays with the right ripping tool. I thought that AnyDVD might make that possible, since (as nearly as I understand it) Anydvd is an "on-the-fly" tool, so that with that software, the operating system sees the disc as an unprotected disc. And in that case I could rip it to my pc despite the lack of on-board DRM decoding libraries.

If the answer to that is yes, then my next question would be, will MakeMKV or DVDFab also work. I'd prefer those tools to AnyDVD if for no other reason than the payment "difficulities" that have been so often reported for AnyDVD. Also, as I understand it, MakeMKV will rip the video files "as is" without transcoding, which I'd prefer.

I'd appreciate any ideas you might have.

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if the reported problem with your Blu-ray drive will affect your ability to use any of the ripping software mentioned above. You can try MakeMKV or DVDFab for free and uninstall the software if you are dissatisfied.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. What type of blu-rays are you trying to read? If 4K you will need new hardware recently found out that myself. Makemkv is free and hopefully will work with 1080p blu-rays. Just search for the beta key online.
    Quote Quote