VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using debian linux and dvgrab to capture DVCAM from a Sony DSR-20P.

I initially had issues with dropped frames, which I overcame by using a ramdisk.

The software starts a new file when it finds a discontinuity in the timecode, which works fine most of the time but I see that some of the files are dated in the future.

For example

/tmp/ramdisk/Beating-Retreat-1999.11.30_00-00-00.dv
    /tmp/ramdisk/Beating-Retreat-2067.02.15_22-26-25.dv

Watching the capture I can see that the initial timecoded file name is a valid one, then a future dated file gets created, after which the original file is updated some more.
    Using vlc the future dated file shows vertical colour bars and has a duration of 15 seconds.

Is there a way, using ffprobe maybe, to display the timecode of each frame so I can determine where the problem occurs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. <edit>
    Oops, sorry, this gets you the display timecodes, not the recording date/time metadata. Still, you may be able find a break in the progression to determine where your problem is.
    </edit>

This in a batch file will get you the timestamps in a CSV file, ready to import into a spreadsheet. Or edit with a text editor.
    Code:
    echo entry,media_type,pkt_pts_time,ftype,coded# > "%~n1.csv"
    ffprobe.exe -v 32 -stats -y -hide_banner -i %1 -select_streams v -print_format csv -of csv -show_entries "frame=media_type,coded_picture_number,pkt_pts_time,pict_type" >> "%~n1.csv"
    Drag/drop a video file onto the batch file. Output will have the same base name as the video file, with a .CSV extension.

[Attachment 59410 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Jun 2021 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jagabo

It has worked nicey and has helped identify the frames where the issue occurs.
    Now I need to think what I can do about it
    Quote Quote