VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I hope this is the right forum to post this. I own a Toshiba SD-690 DVD player which until recently played both discs from Europe and North America. However it has now stopped recognising any of the discs I insert with the error message "region not recognised".

If anyone has any solutions for rectifying this error I would much appreciate the input.

Thankyou
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try the hacks in the "DVD Hacks" section?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Did you or someone else upgrade the firmware recently? Is this player somehow connected to the internet where it could decide on its own to upgrade the firmware? Firmware upgrades often break region free ability. The only way to fix it if this is your problem is to downgrade the firmware, but note that on some players this is impossible.

Once you get a player in region free mode DO NOT ever upgrade the firmware unless you are willing to accept that it may permanently break region free capability on the player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jazzman25 View Post
    However it has now stopped recognising any of the discs I insert with the error message "region not recognised".
    Is it definitely behaving like that with every disc inserted, even DVDs that are the correct region for the player?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, that's the strange thing. It doesn't work on Europe area discs which it previously did
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    In answer to jman98. No upgrades have been attempted and the player is not connected to the web
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can try one of the following methods and if you are lucky, it will fix your problem. But most people aren't this lucky. if you aren't lucky, it's time to buy a new player.

1) Use a cleaning disc. Sometimes dust gets on the laser and cleaning it off will fix strange problems.
    2) You can try adjusting the setting on your laser. You'll have to open the player and find some instructions on the internet on how to adjust the setting. Be very careful because if you overadjust it will destroy the laser. Manufacturers don't really want consumers doing this kind of thing, but it is possible with the right set of small screwdrivers to adjust it yourself.

I found a some reviews that were very negative about your player and talked about serious problems developing after short periods of use. It may be that your player is simply not very good. Also, by any chance is it in a poorly ventilated area and does it get prolonged use? I have seen DVD players get ruined by heat damage in poorly ventilated and closed spaces.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the advice. I've have had the player for around 3 years with average use and the area. I'll certainly try the cleaning option but not sure if I trust myself messing around with the laser. With these devices being relatively cheap it won't be a major outlay to invest in a new one.
    Quote Quote