VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. h t t p : / / w w w . s e n d s p a c e . c o m / f i l e / 9 f m l q p

I really wish those that do the digital transfers to Blu-ray would capture frames from the 35mm film strip in a slower, more individual fashion to make sure they are perfectly lined up. Carelessly capturing from free-rolling projector always brings this unwanted wobbling, even more unnecessary for films made recently or ones produced purely digitally that never should've been captured from 35mm film in the first place.

Anyway, I've noticed the wobbling here isn't only in the horizontal-vertical domain but the film strip was slightly warped so there is skewing of parts of the frame that are more noticeable upon deshaking.

I've tried Stab() which seems to reduce it but for some reason has 25% larger filesize than the shaky original when encoded with the same settings. VDub deshaker fixes it a bit better but I really hope to avoid it because A. it takes forever B. might run out of RAM and C. produces annoying artifacts around the edges that can't really be avoided in many scenes. Even if I set the max correction to 1%, 1% of 1280x688 is 13 and 7 pixels which is a lot to crop, and some scenes, especially close-ups get incorrectly deshaked and up to 13 pixels of shake gets INTRODUCED, so this would require selective trimming of the original and deshaked clip which is extremely annoying to script in avisynth. On my South park movie encode I ended up needing to write over 200 trims, never thinking there would be that many.

What are your professional recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    frame by frame scanning of the 35mm film.
    http://www.imagine-it-entertainment.com/index.html
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss - I really think by "What are your professional recommendations?" he means to say "What better AviSynth filters can I use to fix this?". Based on reading his post I'm pretty sure he's just a fan rather than working for a studio with access to the source and money to pay someone like Imagine IT Entertainment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol - that wouldn't be a pro recommendation.... if it's just a dabbler with a complaint about a studio's low quality anime crud, then bollocks live with it, they couldn't give rat's ass about it to begin with. or buy yourself neatvideo if you're dying for better cartoons than a normal kid can live with.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    aedipuss - I really think by "What are your professional recommendations?" he means to say "What better AviSynth filters can I use to fix this?". Based on reading his post I'm pretty sure he's just a fan rather than working for a studio with access to the source and money to pay someone like Imagine IT Entertainment.
    lol, some unintentionally misleading semantics in my post I see. Jman's correct. I don't work in a studio, though I am giving it some thought considering what incompetent Down Syndrome babies seem to work at them today that force me to have to post-process the videos to perfection because their stupid-asses can't with studio-grade equipment, or because they source digitally-produced films from analog sources and post-process it with automated algorithms that end up destroying the picture and only removing half the dirt and scratches.

But yeah, my source is the retail Blu-ray, I don't have the 35mm master and likely never will. Instead of "professional recommendations" I should've just asked if anybody had any brighter ideas.

I plan to rip out all the duplicate frames to make it VFR so properly minimizing the projector wobble is necessary and minimizing illegitimate "differences" on duplicate frames that makes it harder to detect as duplicate is also preferred. Recommendations for this are welcome too. I usually use two RemoveSpots() or any temporal filter for this purpose since they are fast but RemoveSpots is problematic for scenes like subtle blinking of eyes that gets inferred as being a spot and removed, turning a non-duplicate into a duplicate.

Honestly though, why would Stab() stabilize the video a bit but then take more bitrate than the original? Go ahead and try Stab with my video and see what I mean.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd try it, but I can't remember how to load that mp4 snippet properly into AVIsynth.

It's unlikely that stab() itself is increasing the bitrate. I'm guessing if you re-encode without stab(), you'll find a similar increase in bitrate from whatever settings you are using.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'd try it, but I can't remember how to load that mp4 snippet properly into AVIsynth.
    ffmpegsource("c:\vid.mp4")
    stab()

It's unlikely that stab() itself is increasing the bitrate. I'm guessing if you re-encode without stab(), you'll find a similar increase in bitrate from whatever settings you are using.
    Lossy compressed sizes:
    Original: 1740KB
    VDub deshaker: 1719KB
    Stab: 1911KB

Lossless:
    Original: 56,461KB
    Vdub deshake: 59,909KB
    Stab: 71,789KB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Stab's results might have to with the green frame bug

depan , and stab (which relies on depan) , cause a sort of green flicker on stablized frames. You can search for more info, I don't think it's ever been resolved or the environment in which it happens has been clearly defined. It affects some people more than others. In some situations is very severe (very green), in others, it's just a minor flicker. Might have to do with some specific dll's

The lossless original vs. deshake results are unexpected too. Why would vdub/deshake lossless be larger than original lossless ?

What kind of "lossless" did you use? All I frame or long GOP lossless? That would make a difference too
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't see any green flicker, nothing any more noticeable than the original anyway. Where is the flicker?

The lossless original vs. deshake results are unexpected too. Why would vdub/deshake lossless be larger than original lossless ?
    That surprised me too, but it doesn't compare to the dramatic 25% increase with Stab. The lossy encodes managed to stay consistent, though.

What kind of "lossless" did you use? All I frame or long GOP lossless? That would make a difference too
    x264lossless, no B-frames, 50 keyint and all other settings tweaked for speed over compression. I would still not expect a video with less entropy to be 5% bigger though. Weird.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well there's flicker in the original, but stab tends to bring out more flicker (it might be from non cropped edges, or it might be from green frames depending if you are affected or not)

Regardless, do coloryuv(analyze=true) and stackvertical/horizontal on each and see the fluctuations in Y, U, V are larger in the stabb'ed version (at least it is here) . For temporal compression schemes, any differences will require more bitrate for coding. Not sure if the low range Y differences might be from non cropped edges (ie. black border)

(I did this without removing duplicates, which selecteven() or selectodd() should work)

e.g

a=ffvideosource()

a1=a.coloryuv(analyze=true)
    b1=a.stab().coloryuv(analyze=true)

stackvertical(a1,b1)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Without a doubt (at least here, with this combination of versions of .dlls), I can see slight flickering green tinged frames with stab.

Compare them in different scripts in avspmod, look especially at the "brown" desk

It's not pure green, like some cases , but it's a long standing, poorly understood "bug". Some people are more affected than others. I have no idea why
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=159478

Here is frame 66 comparison (open the pngs in different tabs & flip back & forth)

Is it enough to explain the bitrate differences? Maybe the combinations of border/edge changes and flicker is enough for temporal compression schemes to cause increased bitrate requirements. I don't know.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. You sir are a goddamn genius, I would've never noticed this on my own. I can definitely see the green in the snapshot, I also see accentuation of the macroblock edges on his hat and shirt, what's up with that?

It's weird that this barely-noticeable flicker would add 10% more bitrate though. Just shows how flawed even the best video codec is and I'll expect the same from H.265.

What temporal filter should I use? I don't need strong filtration. Between TTempsmooth and temporal cleaner which is the better choice? I forgot which one I used last time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post

It's weird that this barely-noticeable flicker would add 10% more bitrate though.
    Not just the flicker, but the edge changes, black borders with stab. Same idea as ruddy dirty edges eating up bitrate (but not as bad) . Are those changes enough? I don't know

Just shows how flawed even the best video codec is and I'll expect the same from H.265.
    How is this a flaw of the codec? It's working harder to preserve those changes. It's up to you to give it a clean source without flicker

What temporal filter should I use? I don't need strong filtration. Between TTempsmooth and temporal cleaner which is the better choice? I forgot which one I used last time.
    I don't know. I don't have time to fiddle with it. I guess it depends what you plan on using to stabilize this. Fiddle with the settings and find out what works. For flicker, donald grafts deflicker for vdub works well and is another option. (And you should definitely use some deflicker somewhere as the original has flicker as well)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Not just the flicker, but the edge changes, black borders with stab. Same idea as ruddy dirty edges eating up bitrate (but not as bad) . Are those changes enough? I don't know
    They shouldn't be. I cropped off the edges when I encoded the stab video.

How is this a flaw of the codec?
    A barely-noticeable very insignificant change adding 10% more entropy is a flaw because it obviously isn't properly modeled on human psychovisuals. With something like MPEG-2 it would probably be worse. In fact, when optimized for PSNR H.264 can have comparable quality to MPEG-2, as exemplified by Quicktime.

I don't know. I don't have time to fiddle with it. I guess it depends what you plan on using to stabilize this. Fiddle with the settings and find out what works. For flicker, donald grafts deflicker for vdub works well and is another option. (And you should definitely use some deflicker somewhere as the original has flicker as well)
    If Stab introduces flicker, its probably best to deflicker afterwards. I'm just gonna use TTempsmooth with low settings.
    Quote Quote  
  15. And it should go without saying that you should decimate the duplicates , maybe with dedup or similar functions, in a 1st stage processing step beforehand if you plan to use any temporal filters (I know you mentioned that there were pure 24p sections as well) . Otherwise filters like ttempsmooth or deflickering plugins will not be as effective

What was your full script, what crop values etc... and if you resized back, did you use a sharp or soft resize? because that makes a difference as well
    Quote Quote  
  16. But even an I-frame lossless intermediate like lagarith sees about 6% increase with stab (no crop or resize) over original encoded to lagarith

This suggests more than just temporal component like flicker is causing increase in bitrate requirements.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I think I know what it is. If you look closely at the green section on the back wall, there is a sort of posterization noise in the "stabbed" version

You can see it more clearly with histogram("luma") , as the block edges seem to be "enhanced" . Histogram("luma") is an exaggerated luminace view

Can you verify these results with your versions of plugins (as I said earlier, some people seem to be more affected than others, some people get very green frames, some get mild green frames etc...)

That still doesn't explain the deshaker results you got, because to my knowledge it's not affected by the green bug or this posteriztion effect . Which settings or edge fill options did you use?

Lossless:
    Original: 56,461KB
    Vdub deshake: 59,909KB
    Stab: 71,789KB
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. And it should go without saying that you should decimate the duplicates , maybe with dedup or similar functions, in a 1st stage processing step beforehand if you plan to use any temporal filters
    Yeah, I plan to decimate duplicates before deflickering.

What was your full script, what crop values etc... and if you resized back, did you use a sharp or soft resize? because that makes a difference as wel
    avisource("m:\hv.avi").stab.crop(2,2,-2,-2).lanczosresize(1280,688)

Necessary due to mod16 but I guess this can be compared more objectively by cropping 8 on all sides for both videos and encoding. I'll try that.

But even an I-frame lossless intermediate like lagarith sees about 6% increase with stab (no crop or resize) over original encoded to lagarith
    You should crop black flickering borders without question, they add entropy.

I think I know what it is. If you look closely at the green section on the back wall, there is a sort of posterization noise in the "stabbed" version

You can see it more clearly with histogram("luma") , as the block edges seem to be "enhanced" . Histogram("luma") is an exaggerated luminace view

Can you verify these results with your versions of plugins (as I said earlier, some people seem to be more affected than others, some people get very green frames, some get mild green frames etc...)
    AAH, NOW I NOTICE. Stab() ******* SHARPENS the video in addition to depanning. I verified right now with my own. Mine don't have banding because the one I sent you was encoded with crf16 but it clearly sharpened the chroma gradients as well as all the other edges are thicker and darker. This explains everything.

That still doesn't explain the deshaker results you got, because to my knowledge it's not affected by the green bug or this posteriztion effect . Which settings or edge fill options did you use?
    I think this is the configuration I used, don't remember if I used 2 or 10 pixels for edge softening because I only wanted to quickly test results.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Deshake settings.PNG
Views:	137
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	13765  

Quote Quote  
  19. Did you confirm the lossless export from deshaker used same pixel format / colorspace ? as you know vdub will convert to rgb (although a lossless RGB format, even stabilized, I would expect to be much larger)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    stab() is just calling DePan. stab() adds a smoothed frame between each real frame, which is subsequently discarded after DePan, and limits the corrections allowed to just 4 pixels, but does nothing else that I can see. So I wonder what in DePan causes all these problems?

I guess I've either been lucky or undiscerning, because I've never noticed them here.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    ...and limits the corrections allowed to just 4 pixels, but does nothing else that I can see.
    Yes, but that behavior can be modified. I have mine set for 8. And you can also have it do fill-in, rather than having the edges jump all around afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I know - I meant the problem must be in DePan because there's nothing to cause it in stab(). I wasn't criticising.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Did you confirm the lossless export from deshaker used same pixel format / colorspace ? as you know vdub will convert to rgb (although a lossless RGB format, even stabilized, I would expect to be much larger)
    No, because I used x264lossless which doesn't support RGB, so colorspace conversions have happened.

Anyway, I've decided to simply use Stab for the wobbling. But there is a new problem now with spot removal.

RemoveDirtMC even on a setting of 99 failed to remove the simplest, smallest etches of black spots (it did remove white ones, which is ironic because in another cartoon it ignored the white ones while aggressively killing the black ones).

Look on frame 92 on the video on the far left. How does that spot get past the filter?

Sccript: avisource("M:\hvstab.avi").removedirtMC(99,false)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    But there is a new problem now with spot removal.

RemoveDirtMC even on a setting of 99 failed to remove the simplest, smallest etches of black spots (it did remove white ones, which is ironic because in another cartoon it ignored the white ones while aggressively killing the black ones).

Look on frame 92 on the video on the far left. How does that spot get past the filter?
    If we're referring at the same spot, there are duplicate frames, so it's not detected as a "spot"

Spot/dirt removal filters look at differences between frames. Duplicate frames means no differences, so filter does nothing.

On a static background scene like this, another approach is to mask out and replace the background with a still
    Quote Quote  
  25. Since every other frame is a duplicate:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("hvstab.mp4") 
    Merge(SelectEven(), SelectOdd()) # or just SelectEven() or SelectOdd()
    RemoveSpots()
    Of course, the Merge() will not work if there are dropped or extra duplicate frames. But I did it here to reduce the compression artifacts.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Oct 2012 at 18:50.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ha, yeah the duplicates were the problem. I could've sworn it failed to filter non-duplicated spots though. Oh well.

Should I apply Stab before or after dedupping? The log and times have already been acquired with a stab-processed input. My gut tells me to Stab after.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    I could've sworn it failed to filter non-duplicated spots though.
    RemoveSpots() isn't perfect. It will miss some spots. And it will sometimes remove valid picture elements. Look at the the thin lines in your cartoon. Especially on the pockets of the shirt, on the man's face, and right hand.

Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    Should I apply Stab before or after dedupping? The log and times have already been acquired with a stab-processed input. My gut tells me to Stab after.
    It depends on how you dedup. If simple decimation works, Stab afterward will be faster. But if you use a "smart" deduplicator it may get confused by the film bounce.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Oct 2012 at 07:33.
    Quote Quote  
  28. RemoveSpots() isn't perfect. It will miss some spots. And it will sometimes remove valid picture elements.
    Removespots() blows, I don't use it.

It depends on how you dedup. If simple decimation works, Stab afterward will be faster. But if you use a "smart" deduplicator it may get confused by the film bounce
    I already did the first pass where I added Stab() before the deldup analysis pass so the bounce doesn't interfere with flagging the duplicate frames.

Question is, should I append or prepend Stab to the second pass of the Deldup?
    Quote Quote  
  29. *FACEPALM*

I got a little too ahead it seems. I do remember why I never despot cartoons after all. And this is on the lowest strength.

RemovedirtMC needs a parameter to specify maximum spot size or something, this is just funny. Removespots temporally blurs without removing any actual spots and RemovedirtMC does... this.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	removedirtmcfail.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	14449  

Quote Quote