VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I notice all newer FTA (free to air) satellite recievers are designed for DVB-S2 not DVB-S. DVB-S2 I believe is a newer standard, but what about recieving signals from satellites that still use the older DVB-S standard. Is DVB-S2 backward compatible? That is, is the DVB-S2 standard designed so that any device that can receive a DVB-S2 signal can also receive a DVB-S signal (for older satellites that still use DVB-S)? Or are DVB-S2 receivers incompatible with DVB-S signals, so that I would need to get an older FTA reciever (such as a used one from eBay) that is designed for DVB-S reception (or else a multi-system receiver that can handle both DVB-S and DVB-S2), in order to receive a DVB-S signal?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVB-S2 is not backward (or partially depend on analysis level) compatible however most (if not all) DVB-S2 receivers is dual standard so DVB-S compliant (i mean by this: inside receiver there is so called demodulator and usually those demodulator's are equipped in blocks responsible for DVB-S2 and DVB-S demodulation).
    I'm almost sure that any modern DVB-S2 receiver will fully support DVB-S too so no worry.
    Quote Quote