VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Capturing from a Hi8 through a Pano GS400 DV to Virtualdub and Win 10 and it is all okay except I would like to get rid of the Hi8 time code showing on the capture.

Any help to do this please?

Thanks

oz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't the time code burned in the picture? You could attempt to blur it out,
    Virtualdub has a filter or two that address this

Of course you'll be re-encoding the video - but you may be doing this anyway
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank yo for the reply.

It is burned into the captured part but not sure about on the original tape. It does show on the Hi 8 LCD screen though.

I thought if I could get it off there, it would also be okay on the capture. The user Menu is so limited theer is nothing there to help.

Trying to find a manual but so far no go. I have one in 4 languages but not English

EDIT:

Actually it is the Tape Counter. It says Hi 8 and the - + number.
    Last edited by ozstar100; 29th May 2020 at 17:50. Reason: better explanation
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If that date is the date the video was recorded, it's burned into the picture
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks davexnet, it isn't the date, just the tape location. in hours, minutes and secs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Consumer camcorders by design should not output menu items through their video outputs, only in the view finder or the LCD display, This is an indication that the time stamp is baked into the video signal. What is the history of the video tape and what is the original camcorder's model that shot the tape?

What's your work flow? I see Hi8 and DV mixed together, Are you using two camcorders? It's confusing. Take time to write a detailed post so you can get accurate answers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input dellsame34.

It is happening on all good quality Hi8 tapes I use, recorded on once and played at most twice around early 90's.

Recorded on Canon A1 Hi8 and now played on a Samsung VP-L750 and Samsung VP-W80, both doing the same thing.

Connected via s-video and av audio mini jack to Panasonic NV GS400 DV then from that DV via Firewire to Win 10 1909 PC.

Used both 'Virtualdub' 1.19 and 2 as well as NCH 'Debut', all the same result.

LCD on both the Hi8 and DV as well on the captured video shows the play arrow > and the time into the tape 00:22:23 as she rolls through.

This comes from the Hi8 not the DV which is in Play mode.Its LCD shows the date, time code, battery etc none of which passes on to the captured video. Only what is on the Hi 8 ends up on the video and this is what I would like not to be there.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

Thanks and hope I can get a resolve.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know why you are using vdub for DV stream? You already butchered the Hi8 video by converting it to a lossy DV format, Using the wrong software do more damage if you are capturing to a format other than DV. If you decide to convert to DV just use ScenalyzerLive with minimal damage.

As to the time code, The Canon A1 is a pro or semi pro camcorder, I'm afraid that the only way to disable the time code is to use one of those camcorders for playback. A consumer camcorder such as Samsung VP-L750 will not distinguish the time code from the rest of the DV data, therefore it will be part of the video data. Also it depends on how the option was set in the A1 in the first place, If it was set to hard encode the timecode into the frames you are out of luck, That's why they have a user manual for everything so you learn how to use it to avoid mistakes like this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why you are using vdub for DV stream? You already butchered the Hi8 video by converting it to a lossy DV format, Using the wrong software do more damage if you are capturing to a format other than DV. If you decide to convert to DV just use ScenalyzerLive with minimal damage.
    Thanks. but what other way is there to get the Hi8 into a PC and a digital format ?

Naturally want the transfer to be as good a possible but do not have access to a Hi8 player and that A1 does not work anymore.

I will try ScenalyzerLive but will still have to get analog to digital, yes?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can learn to capture using a USB capture device but it's a steep learning curve, If you are happy with DV just capture using ScenalyzerLive but at some point you may have to convert the ancient DV to a modern format and that's another loss.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Did you check the manual? You can turn on/off the on-screen display on the samsung in the menus.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    Did you check the manual? You can turn on/off the on-screen display on the samsung in the menus.
    Consumer camcorders don't display menu items over video output except for the time and date which is not the case here. The timecode is a pro feature only, consumer camcorders have no control over it except very few models.
    Quote Quote