VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Best American Comedy Show

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Hey, another big comedy show that you all forgot to put in the poll--

he "George W Bush create jobs in America" show!! How did you guys miss this one??
    A kiss on the hand might be quite continental, but tactical nukes are a boy's best friend
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That goes under tragedys, not comedys.

Hey, you mentioned something political!
    Lock the thread!!!
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what about That's My Bush?
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I wonder whats gonna happen to 8 Simple Rules. It really was a funny show.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take a guess

<---------------------
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wings
    WKRP
    Taxi
    Cheers

All very funny shows IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bob W
    WKRP
    I can't be in a conversation involving Cincinnati without thinking of that theme song...

"Baby, if you ever wonder... wonder, whatever became of me.
    I'm living on the air in Cincinnati... Cincinnati WKRP."
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just in the past few weeks I noticed that TVLand on cable has started showing WKRP reruns at night.
    A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Family Guy is a work of genius.....gets my vote.
    Quote Quote  
  10. #1: The Simpsons. Irreverent, rebellious, exuberant(sp?), intelligent and FUNNY!
    #2. Seinfeld: Great show about "Nothing" Although it lost steam in the end, after Susan's death.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey.............. How about CHEERS
    Quote Quote  
  12. How about Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, Good Times and/or 3's Company?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everybody Loves Raymond

This is the only show that makes me bust out in laughter.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The Beverly Hillbillies is my all-time favorite...I know they started running out ideas after so long, but the early episodes are hilarious.

South Park is good too - you just gotta catch the right episodes...it's hit and miss.

The The Carol Burnette Show from the '70s were fun at the time also (I grew up in the '70s)

I'm with lordsmurf on The Munsters, but it's been ages since I've watched that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm with mistermickster : "Sledge Hammer!" was great and underappreciated. Looks like it'll be on DVD: http://www.sledgehammeronline.com/
    Also "Quark" - betcha few remember that one. Richard Benjamin as the captain of a garbage scow, with the doublemint twins on board for this send-up of the sci-fi genre, a la Star Trek. Refresh your memory bank here: http://home.globalcrossing.net/~luethy/ It was created by Buck Henry, also responsible for Get Smart and others, worked with Mel Brooks.
    Other faves:
    "Green Acres" "Olivah!" Loved Eva Gabor. Coming back to TV Land in Jan. of next year
    "The Munsters" On TV Land now.
    "Addams Family" On KDOC TV 56 (Anaheim) now.
    "I Dream Of Jeannie" On TV Land now.

I'd have to say, of newer shows, I'd go with Malcolm, King of the Hill, Family Guy, and Futurama. All the good stuff is on Fox.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just been through the postings and couldn't find any mention of Hogans Heros. I'm sure a lot of the older members will remember Sergent Schultz and Colonel Klink.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Roundabout
    Also "Quark" - betcha few remember that one.
    Well, it will forever be my quest to try and watch an episode of this show. I went to the webpage and was laughing from just looking at the still screenshots and imagining what the show is like. That is my kind of humor.
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Solarjetman,
    "Quark" It was hilarious - it's been so long since I saw it, I don't remember any of the plots, but I couldn't believe they cancelled it so fast. I also liked that they included the Barnstable twins (from the Doublemint commercials) as eye candy. Made it more watchable. I've tried looking for it on eMule, Kazaa and other places online, but unlike some other shows, apparently it hasn't ever been rerun where someone could've taped it, like "Sledge Hammer!" was. I hate it when you just start getting into a show and it gets cancelled. I loved "The Lone Gunmen" (x-files spinoff) that was on a couple of years ago, and that got cancelled almost before it got out of the gate. They ended the season with a cliffhanger that never got resolved. Actually, I liked it more than x-files, it had humor and heart. Too bad it didn't get a chance. If I ever run across an episode of "Quark", I'll PM you and let you know where to find it.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thanks,

Yeah, I remember the Lone Gunmen. I liked the show. I might still have one episode on VHS. I think the reason it didn't really take off is it was TOO integrated with the X-files.

I recently saw an interview with Kelsey Grammer who plays Frasier. Being a successful spinoff of Cheers, the host asked if he had any advice for the new spinoff of Friends with Matt LeBlanc. And he said "Take Joey out of that world and put him in his own". I thought about it and he is right. Most all succefull spinoffs have almost completely removed themselves from the original show. If you don't, when the original show goes south, so does the spinoff.
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't believe Three's Company was not on the poll. What a horrible poll indeed. hehe
    Quote Quote  
  21. Here in the UK we only get about half of the TV comedy shows discussed or listed, but the best one by far & I'm amazed no one has mentioned it yet was The Larry Sanders Show. Brilliant satire.
    Quote Quote  
  22. The best ever is definately Seinfeld.

The best on right now, hands down, is Scrubs, Barbie!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another of my predictions has come to pass, just since this thread got started: The US remake of Coupling was indeed crapped down to US approved levels and subsequently cancelled.

Good job, NBC!
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coupling was crap over here. THe entire show revolved around sex. Granted most comedies have a lot to do with sex, but they have an additional story line as well. Coupling didn't have that.....plus it wasn't funny, that kinda hurts comedy series as well.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Have you seen the British version of Coupling TGPO, its very funny.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After going through the posts, I see no one mention of The Carol Burnett Show or The Red Skelton Show or the Adams Family. But now I am showing my age . And from the British I enjoyed "Are You Being Served." Oh Well
    Quote Quote  
  27. That 70's show... best ever
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Have you seen the British version of Coupling TGPO, its very funny.
    Haven't seen it. I hope it is better than the US version. It was horrible.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing comes close to King of Queens and That 70's show!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Never really found King of Queens very funny, That 70's Show is very good though.
    Quote Quote