VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First time here. Thanks for looking. I am not a wiz bang computer guy, especially when it comes to video editing applications and related stuff.

So I recently converted ~25 analog 8mm Sony video tapes (2 hours per tape) that I made of my four kids during their childhood to digital format (MOV). I used a refurbished Sony Video Recorder (EV-A50[8] that I purchased on eBay (the original 25 year old Sony 8mm camcorder no longer functioned). I played the tapes through a Roxio Video Capture USB (purchased at Best Buy) into my Late 2013 MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 1 TB SSD). The video conversation to digital worked flawlessly using the Roxio dongle.

The resulting digital files are in MOV format, totaling ~ 64 GB of data. I purchased four SanDisk Extreme PLUS microXDSC UHS-I Cards (with SD adapters) from Costco in order to get the digital data files to each of my four kids. All of them have MacBook Pro’s or better (one iMac) with SD card slots on their computers.

Because of the expense involved (I’m retired), I will not be converting all of the video to DVD’s for playback in their home DVD players. Perhaps they will. I may convert the files on my SSD to DVD though.

Questions.

1. Should I convert the videos to a different format than MOV before I transfer them to the SD cards? Does doing so affect their choices for what they can do with the MOV files? As it is, they will be able to play the MOV video files on their computers. Some smart TV’s will allow playback via a USB plugged into the rear of the TV, but I know of no ‘smart’ TV’s that will allow playback from SD cards.

2. I’m guessing that I can just ‘drag’ the files from the Roxio folder to the SD card icon on my desktop? Or do I need to go through some fancy ‘export process?’. I don’t want to loose the MOV files off of my MacBook Pro.

3. Any recommendations for what software that I should use (pro’s and con’s) to convert the files to DVD’s, and what the highest quality DVD’s are.

Thanks in advance!

Jeepers. I just saw that there is a Mac thread down below. Sorry about that Mods. Feel free to move this post, or I can delete it and repost in the Mac thread.
    Last edited by ultane; 27th Jun 2019 at 15:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll move the thread to our MAC Forum, where you may get more responses.

Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.

And for your questions:\

1) I'd leave them in MOV format. Should be OK for most Macs. They can always be converted later to alternate formats.

2) Drag and Drop should work, but you should back up the original transfers offline so you have a second original backup.

3) Not that familiar with Mac to DVD programs, but others here can give recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I'll move the thread to our MAC Forum, where you may get more responses.

Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.

And for your questions:\

2) Drag and Drop should work, but you should back up the original transfers offline so you have a second original backup.
    Thanks redwudz!

Concerning the ‘original transfers’,... so my regular Mac back up routine to an external hard drive should be ok?...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use Compressor from your MAS (MAC App Store) - Apple software. Not free, not too expensive, and produces great quality. You can also use DVDStyler (free) to just drop the MOV file in the timeline and let it convert the video to a burnable DVD. Quality is good in my expirations as well, and it’s super easy to use. I use both...
    Quote Quote