VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for my ignorance but any help on this would be appreciated...
    I have a 45min movie (7gig in AVI) to burn onto DVD but my Magix program won't let me. Is this because my PC is too feeble, or that the program is not intending to compress the AVI file to fit onto the DVD (in Mpeg2 format, presumably)?

Answers, help, smart arse comments all welcome! Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not much info to go on. I personally have never used any Magix product but it might help to know which Magix product you have. Also, at what point do you get the error message? Try getting to the point where you're ready to burn then save your project, close the program, reboot, reopen Magix, reload your project, then try your burn, (assuming Magix allows you to do that).
    That's all I can think of at the moment.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Presumably, "memory" refers to exactly that and not "storage". How much RAM do you have in your PC?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for being so vague. And thanks for trying to help me.

The computer has a 512MB processor, and 2 hard drives of 40gig each. However, they're close to full, with the second drive (on which I've created this movie) having just 7gigs free (the other drive has less than one). I assume this could be the problem.

The message comes up on the burn options panelwhen I have completed the DVD menu tailoring (inc chapter menu etc) and click BURN TO DVD.

Basically, I think I just need to know: do you guys shove your AVI files (which are greater than the capacity of a DVD) onto DVD, or are your finished movies (in AVI format) always small enough for a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There has to be an intermediate step in there somewhere where the AVI files "shoved" into the compilation are converted to MPG files. Probably there isn't enough hard drive space to store the converted video files.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The program is Move Edit Pro (2004 version)

NB: I have created short test DVDs in the past, but this is my first completed film. So I know the program works, how it works (more or less) and that my burner works.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SLK001
    There has to be an intermediate step in there somewhere where the AVI files "shoved" into the compilation are converted to MPG files. Probably there isn't enough hard drive space to store the converted video files.
    Thanks. That's what I figured it could be. Tell me, if I was to simply load the AVI file onto another machine (running the same program), are all the raw pieces of footage, songs, audio, and still images that are held in their original state in various folders on my (slow, full, rubbish) computer included in this massive AVI movie? Or will I have to locate each item and also move these across (I hope not!).
    Quote Quote  
  8. I suspect, as with most All-In-Ones, that once you tell it to burn, it then actually encodes and creates interim files and you do not have enough available "working room" on your hard drives to allow it to complete. 512 is usually enough physical memory, but the hard drive is used for virtual memory so not having enough available can result in Insufficient Memory errors. Also, if the program is installed on the "C" drive it is probably using that for "work space". See if there's a option to specify a Temp or Working folder. Also try to free up as much room as possible by emptying the recycle bin, deleting internet caches, removing old restore points, backup as much as you can to Data DVDs and remove the files from the hard drive, etc.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you're right Mr Gadget Guy. And yes, the program is installed on the more full C Drive. I'll do what you suggest and give it another go.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I know it's basic stuff, but hey, you're dealing with a simpleton here!
    Quote Quote