VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am installing two security cameras in my home. I have looked and looked for good deals on packages. I finally came across a package that has everything I need exept one thing...a digital video recorder. This has become a big pricing issue. I had no idea a digital recorders would be that expensive. Anyway, on to my question.
    I have an old Tivo box from two years ago when I had directTv. It just sits on my shelf doing nothing. I own the equipment. I bought it outright when I purchased the service. But now, I have this digital hard drive recorder that is nothing more than a huge paperweight. So, does anyone know how I could use the Tivo box to hook up to my security cams and have it function as my digital recorder? I know it will hook up as it has the same inputs as my vcr(which I could also use, but at lower quality). However, I would not know how to make it record from the cameras. I think the Tivo software only allows it to record from the channels on the grid.
    Anyway...any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might have better luck posting your question at the forums over at tivocommunity.com.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IP based web enabled 4 port DVR's for security cameras are about 300$ on ebay
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote