VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty much what the topic says.
    When I want to view trailers at Apple.com, streams just go out of sync and I have to back up the video a bit to get it back in sync.What can be causing this? I can get the same video to my PC and watch it with the same sync issues.

Not sure when this happened but it really bugs.I don't have this issue with other formats like WMV, AVI, MPG...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your CPU isn't fast enough . If you have Quicktime Pro or Quicktime Alternative, you can download the .MOV to your machine for local viewing. Try the next lower resolution video and see if the problem goes away.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The other possibility is that your internet connection is the bottleneck (either your side or their side), and the buffer is not large enough to stream at your selected bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thing is even if I do download the video to my PC it still has the sync issue.
    This has never been a problem before.It just sorta happened one day and I just now thought to find answers.
    I try all resolutions as well and the same issue on all.
    A P4 2.4 GHz isn't enough for Quicktime...never heard of that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What are you using to decode the apple trailers? quicktime pro? quicktime alternative?

Do you have any other processes running when you play the video (check on a small 480p one), open up your task manager?

What are you are using to decode AAC audio? If it's not already turned on for AAC, check in the ffdshow audio decoder configuration
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .....lol
    I never had to do that before but will give a try if I can get some instruction.
    I use QT pro latest version.
    I usually do the 480 versions online.
    As for AAC and ffdshow ... might need some help there.I do have ffdshow installed but not sure what I use for AAC.I do have AC3filter installed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Right click the taskbar and choose task manager. If you have other processes running, like antivirus scanning, etc..., that could cause choppy play. Shut down other non-essential things

If you open up your .mov in gspot it will tell you what audio/video codecs are being used. I can tell you right now nearly all of them use h.264 video and AAC audio.

If you press the "1" (circled in the photo) it will tell you how the video is being rendered, notice it says ffdshow in my particular configuration

To check your ffdshow audio configuration, it should be in your start menu

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is what I have.

Quote Quote  
  9. I don't use quicktime pro, but maybe ffdshow is interfering with quicktime pro? try toggling it off in ffdshow

If that doesn't work, well it looks like for some reason you can render the audio properly according to gspot

What version of ffdshow? Scroll down and select "about". Perhaps you need an upgrade.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My ffdshow is from Feb 08 so an update is needed though I wouldn't think that is being so much out of date.
    but maybe ffdshow is interfering with quicktime pro? try toggling it off in ffdshow
    How would I go about that?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Toggle it off in the configuration window; there is a drop down menu -> change it to disabled instead of libfaad2
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not see anything that says QT Pro ... or do I select h.264
    Quote Quote  
  13. I meant toggle AAC off in the ffdshow audio configuration (like in the screenshots above, except "disabled"), because it might be interfering with QT Pro's playback
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see......will give a try....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really odd.Made all sorts of changes and still.......
    Stream will start off fine then at no particular point there is a 'glitch' and that sends it out of sync.Almost like if watching it then trying to open an application that interrupts it.
    Maybe it is my AVAST! software? Though I have it stopped but that may not mean it is 'off' ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Well gspot confirmed that you have an audio rendering problem...

But it doesn't hurt to check the task manager as mentioned earlier.

You could try uninstalling and re-installing to the latest versions.

Personally I just use quicktime alternative + ffdshow
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im gonna uninstall QT and go with QTA and see what happens.
    Any settings I should know of while installing QTA ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or, you can try playing your downloaded MOV files with VLC . Give that a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats were it gets even better..... VLC plays them flawlessly!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *Updating*

Well I removed QT Pro and went with QTA and I had the same issues.Made no FFDShow changes.
    Made suggested FFDShow changes and still had the sync issue.

I thought to look in the QT settings in case I missed anything, anywhere.I could not see anything even in MIME settings.One thing however did catch my eye.I was in the AUDIO TAB and saw SOUND OUT - RATE was set to 44.1 kHz and this was the same when I had QT Pro installed.So I changed it to 48 kHz and what do you know!
    I no longer have the sync issue.
    Quote Quote