VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone
    I use my computer as a HTPC, and I was watching Planet Earth in H264 720P and the video freezes up temporarily on scenes with a lot of detail in it, like a zoom-out showing thousands and thousands of birds.
    It's strange because any other HD movie I have with high motion scenes doesn't lag at all.
    I'm trying to determine the source of the problem.
    My setup:
    CPU P4 3.2GHZ
    1GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 7600 GS 256MB
    Video is H264 720P, it uses AVC as a decoder.
    It's being output to a TV via HDMI/DVI from the video card.
    Tried VideoLAN and Media Player Classic, both play it back the same.
    And I'm playing the videos from the hard drive, not a disc.

Is there anything I could tweak with performance settings or drivers, or what would I need to improve hardware wise? The latest thing I got was the new video card last fall, as I fried my old one.
    The rest of the setup is nearly 4 years old, actually I was amazed it plays HD as well as it does.

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install a newer version of ffdshow and enable h264/avc and play with mpc. If it wont help you can try Coreavc (disable h264 in ffdshow first) as h264/avc decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It sounds like your CPU can't keep up with the decoding -- not surprising for a 3.4 GHz P4. ffdshow's h.264 decoder is single threaded. CoreAVC Pro's decoder is multithreaded. Your P4's hyperthreading might give you enough speed when using CoreAVC. Otherwise you're looking at a CPU upgrade.

You might also try disabling the deblocking feature of either codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    P4 3.2GHZ, 1GB RAM and nVidia GeForce 7600 GS 256MB
    are all marginal for full quality 720p h.264. Planet Earth is a worse case for detail and motion (mostly helecopter or airplane shots).

For best picture with that gear, go for MPeg2 and larger files (~12-18Mb/s).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote