VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying my hand at editing/typesetting with Aegisub, and so far I've had no issues. But when trying to open a particular .mkv file, I get this error message:

Could not open [Filename]
    YUV4MPEG: video is not in a supported format
    FFmpegSource: Unknown video color space

I've tried some solutions I've found on this website and elsewhere, from installing LAV filters to running the file through MkvToolNix, but nothing seems to work. Is there something I can change within Aegisub to make this work? I should also mention that FFmpegSource is the only video provider that appears within Aegisub's advanced video settings. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Mediainfo to see what it says about the files color sub-sampling
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Use Mediainfo to see what it says about the files color sub-sampling
    Mediainfo says it's 4:4:4.

That's another thing I noticed: in MkvToolNix the header editor said that a bunch of the data fields regarding color were blank, but in Mediainfo they're all populated.
    Last edited by riffraff11235; 12th Mar 2022 at 16:56.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried remuxing the file with Avidemux into a version with 4:2:0 color sub-sampling, and Aegisub is able to open that one. I'd still like to find a way to have Aegisub open the original, though. I don't want to have to go through this rigamaroll every time a similar file comes up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May I ask, what is the source of these 4:4:4 files ? Your camera? If it's possible please post
    A small sample here in the thread
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    May I ask, what is the source of these 4:4:4 files ? Your camera? If it's possible please post
    A small sample here in the thread
    I believe it was ripped from a Blu-Ray. I'm not sure how much more I can say without breaking forum rules. I managed to snip off a small sample that reproduces the same error when I try to open it in Aegisub. Would it be ok for me to upload it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, small samples are fair use -
    it's my understanding even UHD blu-ray sticks to the 4:2:0 chroma
    Last edited by davexnet; 14th Mar 2022 at 16:02.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Yes, small samples are fair use -
    it's my understanding even UHD blu-ray sticks to the 4:2:0 chroma
    Yeah, all of the similar .mkv files I've dealt with seem to have 4:2:0 chroma, except for this one. The source says it was taken from a UHD Blu-Ray and downscaled to 1080p 4:4:4. I've included a ~2 min sample. Also, here's the MediaInfo dump for the video track in case it helps:

Code:
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High 4:4:4 Predictive@L5
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 16 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 16 frames
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration                                 : 1 h 35 min
    Bit rate                                 : 4 914 kb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 816 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4
    Bit depth                                : 10 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.131
    Stream size                              : 3.29 GiB (59%)
    Title                                    : UHD to 1080p 4:4:4
    Writing library                          : x264 core 163 r3078M 72c3504 (DJATOM's mod)
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=16 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.72 / psy_rd=0.80:0.20 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-1 / threads=16 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=14.0000 / qcomp=0.72 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=81 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=3:0.80
    Language                                 : Japanese
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    Color range                              : Limited
    Color primaries                          : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.2020 (10-bit)
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the sample. I wonder what the idea was to encode it that way? Wouldn't play properly on my Chromecast nor natively in the LG
    TV via DLNA. I don't think you're going to have any choice except convert it for your subtitle program
    Last edited by davexnet; 14th Mar 2022 at 20:14.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Thanks for the sample. I wonder what what idea was to encode it that way? Wouldn't play properly on my Chromecast nor natively in the LG
    TV via DLNA. I don't think you're going to have any choice except convert it for your subtitle program
    Huh, more strangeness. It's played fine on every player I've tried on my computer, including MPC-HC, VLC, mpv and avidemux. Downgrading the chroma subsampling when I remuxed did have the added bonus of reducing the video stream size a little, so there's that I guess. Would still be nice if this gets resolved in some future release of Aegisub.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by riffraff11235 View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Thanks for the sample. I wonder what what idea was to encode it that way? Wouldn't play properly on my Chromecast nor natively in the LG
    Would still be nice if this gets resolved in some future release of Aegisub.
    I wouldn't hold my breath, it hasn't been updated in almost 4 years. 4:4:4 is just not used in consumer video
    (if I'm wrong about this I'm sure somebody will correct me)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath, it hasn't been updated in almost 4 years. 4:4:4 is just not used in consumer video
    (if I'm wrong about this I'm sure somebody will correct me)
    It seems like someone forked it here. Last build was released this past October. Just noticed that they have a Discord. I'll try asking about the issue there.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the update. Let us know how it turns out
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi all, I think I have the same problem.
    Aegisub gives me this message when I try to upload a video:
    "yuv4mpeg: video is not in a supported format. FFmpegSource: unknown video color space"
    Does anyone know what to do to fix the problem?
    T.I.A.
    Quote Quote