VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    which authoring software can make a WTV file, about 8gb, into a Bluray compliant output? I don't want to re-encode as that will make the video "lossy". The capture was OTA by WMC and is original MPEG2.

Multiavchd doesn't handle .wtv. The simple trick of changing the extension to .mpg does not work.

Videoredo can edit WTV without re-encoding, which is a relief. But now I'm stuck at the final step of making a bluray disc.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try clever Fmpeg GUI.It will mux it to mpg.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Try clever Fmpeg GUI.It will mux it to mpg.
    will that re-encode, creating "lossy"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know of any Blu-ray authoring software that might accept WTV files as input for Blu-ray authoring, except perhaps TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 re-encodes during authoring only if the input is not Blu-ray-compliant. It can produce authored Blu-ray discs with menus. It is paid software but it has a free trial.

tsMuxeR is free authoring software. It accepts TS files as input but it won't accept WTV files as input and only produces menuless Blu-rays. However, as I recall, VideoReDo can export the contents of a WTV file in another type of container file, for example, a TS file, without re-encoding. Just import the edited WTV file and export it as a TS without performing any more edits. You will lose the WTV metadata but authored Blu-ray doesn't support that anyway.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Oct 2022 at 20:27. Reason: Typed "DVDs" by mistake instead of "Blu-rays".
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mux=no re-encoding.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    which authoring software can make a WTV file, about 8gb, into a Bluray compliant output? I don't want to re-encode as that will make the video "lossy". The capture was OTA by WMC and is original MPEG2.

Multiavchd doesn't handle .wtv. The simple trick of changing the extension to .mpg does not work.

Videoredo can edit WTV without re-encoding, which is a relief. But now I'm stuck at the final step of making a bluray disc.

thanks.
    see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343777-WTV-format
    or this one - https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172596
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't know of any Blu-ray authoring software that might accept WTV files as input for Blu-ray authoring, except perhaps TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 re-encodes during authoring only if the input is not Blu-ray-compliant. It can produce authored Blu-ray discs with menus. It is paid software but it has a free trial.

tsMuxeR is free authoring software. It accepts TS files as input but it won't accept WTV files as input and only produces menuless Blu-rays. However, as I recall, VideoReDo can export the contents of a WTV file in another type of container file, for example, a TS file without re-encoding. Just import the edited WTV file and export it as a TS without performing any more edits. You will lose the WTV metadata but authored Blu-ray doesn't support that anyway.
    thanks, I ended up doing a VideoRedo "save as" as MPEG-TS which swiftly produced another file, no recoding, but MediaInfo showed "Lossy" - however as indicated that's probably just a difference in metadata.

Then used Multiavchd to author the final disc. Wow, that freeware is incredible, the supremely talented developer has helped thousands of people worldwide for more than a decade.

btw, is there another OTA capture software that captures without encoding such as WMC does? I tried NextPVR but that encodes at a pretty low rate. Also have Hauppauge WinTV 1595 capture USB stick but that included software also encodes. WMC is very special, which is the only reason I didn't upgrade Win7 to Win10 on the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can use ffmpeg to remux to m2ts:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.wtv -c copy output.m2ts
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, I ended up doing a VideoRedo "save as" as MPEG-TS which swiftly produced another file, no recoding, but MediaInfo showed "Lossy" - however as indicated that's probably just a difference in metadata.
    MediaInfo reports that the compression mode for every MPEG-2 stream is lossy because unlike H.264, MPEG-2 can't be lossless.

btw, is there another OTA capture software that captures without encoding such as WMC does? I tried NextPVR but that encodes at a pretty low rate. Also have Hauppauge WinTV 1595 capture USB stick but that included software also encodes. WMC is very special, which is the only reason I didn't upgrade Win7 to Win10 on the PC.
    I moved on to Windows 10 and I switched to NextPVR + SchedulesDirect guide service after it was announced that WMC would no longer receive Microsoft's guide service. I will admit that WMC was easier to set up but I am very pleased with NextPVR. For one thing, I can pad the recording time by a couple of minutes on each end.

I don't know what you mean by "I tried NextPVR but that encodes at a pretty low rate." I don't re-encode the recorded transport streams from a digital tuner for storage. NextPVR may re-encode streams on-the-fly to send them over a home network to be watched remotely but the original file is untouched.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Oct 2022 at 20:22.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote