VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What home comfort would you give up if you had to?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would give up television.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I could give up TV in a heartbeat. As it is now it is always a great debate between my wife and I when working out a household budget s to whether or not to keep 'cable' TV. I would love to cut the cord and only keep the high speed internet, she likes having 200 channels of crap to watch Law and Order repeats on.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I would love to cut the cord and only keep the high speed internet, she likes having 200 channels of crap to watch Law and Order repeats on.
    Oh God, you too? My wife is the "TV zombie" whenever those reruns are on. I don't get it, she's seen 'em all.

I could easily give up cable, so long as I could keep my home theater and movies. And telephone too, but that definitely wouldn't fly either.

Anyway, I voted television.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I would love to cut the cord and only keep the high speed internet, she likes having 200 channels of crap to watch Law and Order repeats on.
    Oh God, you too? My wife is the "TV zombie" whenever those reruns are on. I don't get it, she's seen 'em all.

I could easily give up cable, so long as I could keep my home theater and movies. And telephone too, but that definitely wouldn't fly either.

Anyway, I voted television.
    NetFlix has most of them...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Telephone

I'm also a tv zombie but most live sports then. And I don't want to watch it on my laptop....I use it to surf/work while I watch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm a TV Zombie mostly when tennis season starts....which is today.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my mobile phone, can do without that no problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Phone, easily. I get 100 emails for every phone call I get. My wife and daughter would kill me though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simple for me to answer. Didn't even have to think about it. Heating and or A/C. Just because I live in California that doesn't mean it doesn't get hot or cold here. Woke up this morning and it was 18f outside but it was still 55f inside so no need for heat inside. Did put on a sweater though. Haven't used my A/C or furnace in 10 years.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I already gave up broadcast/cable/satellite television. I don't have one in the house.
    It gets upwards of 115F here in the summer. AC is a necessity.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I had to give up something, it would have to be television even though I'm a TV addict. It is the only luxury on the list. The other things on the list are necessities or near necessities as far as I am concerned.

I don't have air conditioning, but I would never choose to go without heat voluntarily having experienced a few days without heat in January due to an extended power outage. Buying drinking water, washing clothes in a laundroamat, and using public facilities to bathe, etc. every day is inconvenient. Doing without telephone service or Internet service is possible, but certainly not easy these days.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've already given up my phone, so this was an easy answer. I waas surprised at the large television number - it is still indespinsible in my household for entertainment, news, etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Phone. Don't use it much anyway.

I guess ac would be next as it doesn't get THAT hot in southern Michigan but it would be uncomfortable for July and August but cope-able.

I can't get rid of cable tv as sports lives on the damn cable channels now. Basically if you want to watch EVERY college football game for your team you have to have either espn and or one of the college branded networks (big ten channel in my case for UofM football - the Wolverines fyi).

In the early 2000's the Detroit Red Wings and the Detroit Tigers moved to the Fox Sports Network and that basically forced me to get cable. Though I'm not much of a baseball fan but I NEED hockey and football too .

Thats the thing people don't mention much when they do these cost saving stories on the news about dumping cable to watch stuff on netflix and whatever. You can't get live sports on them. About the best you could do is the espn portal on the xbox 360. And of course you can do the paid premium sports channels on both the xbox 360 and ps3 (and I'm assuming now finally on the new WII U).

But basically no you need a cable/sat/fios subscription to get any decent live sports these days which is a crime in my opinion.

And to top it off they started putting baseball playoff games on the MLB premium channel. Damn exclusive stuff. Enough already!

Anyway if I wasn't such a sports nut (and I'm not really but I do have to watch all the college football games every year and hockey - mostly playoffs though) I could probably live without cable tv so long as I had my high speed internet for other stuff like youtube and free hulu (though I don't use it that much - hulu that is I'm on youtube a lot).

Oh well I guess I strayed off topic a bit there...
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote