VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello
    I would like to put scenes from movies on youtube.

The end goal is that the scenes that I put on youtube are of high quality.

I suppose that I should rip blurays ? They will provide higher quality than dvd's ? What about streaming/downloading movies ?

Once I have the file on my pc I have to cut the parts that I want with a program and then convert them to the accepted and highest quality format of youtube ?

On youtube I see there are even 4k formats.. Is this possible; from bluray to 4k ?

Thanks a lot to all who whish to help me here
    Quote Quote  
  2. Be careful as YT may have some detection for content which may be illegal from YT policy perspective. Commercial content is particularly difficult to be placed on YT and people sometimes are forced to distort (flip horizontally, modify some areas etc) video beyond automatic detection capability but even if automatic detection fail then some people may report your content.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As pandy said, YT ban videos like this.
    That been said, look for "tutorial picture in picture", this is damn easy to do with Davinci Resolve, example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTaCbJtZHwM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csn34KUauJY
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by FROMNOW View Post
    "YouTube" and "high quality" are mutually exclusive.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. You may get into trouble posting copyright material on YT IF THE VIDEO IS NOT "YOUR CREATED CONTENT" DON'T POST IT
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The picture in picture tutorials are not helping me.

Can someone answer my questions please. I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    "YouTube" and "high quality" are mutually exclusive.
    Ok I will rephrase: the end goal is that the scenes that I put on youtube are of highest quality in regards to what is possible with youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by FROMNOW View Post
    I suppose that I should rip blurays ? They will provide higher quality than dvd's ?
    Blu-ray will give you better quality than DVD.

What about streaming/downloading movies ?
    That will typically be lower quality than Blu-ray.

On youtube I see there are even 4k formats.. Is this possible; from bluray to 4k ?
    Blu-ray is limited to 1920x1080. You can upscale to 4K but that won't increase the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by FROMNOW View Post
    The picture in picture tutorials are not helping me.

Can someone answer my questions please. I would really appreciate it.
    lol...

To allocate highest bitrate (i.e. highest quality) on YT you need to upload your content as 4k (even if not native 4k then anyway it will get higher bitrate and will offer higher quality on YT).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Blu-ray is limited to 1920x1080. You can upscale to 4K but that won't increase the quality.[/QUOTE]

If I upscale it to 4k, then what is the difference if the quality doesn't change ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Be careful as YT may have some detection for content which may be illegal from YT policy perspective. Commercial content is particularly difficult to be placed on YT and people sometimes are forced to distort (flip horizontally, modify some areas etc) video beyond automatic detection capability but even if automatic detection fail then some people may report your content.

Actually, if it's short clips, you can post a lot of copyrighted content to youtube, you just waive every right to monetization... and your videos will be monetized by the studios owning the rights instead.

FROMNOW I sent you a PM.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by FROMNOW View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Blu-ray is limited to 1920x1080. You can upscale to 4K but that won't increase the quality.
    If I upscale it to 4k, then what is the difference if the quality doesn't change ?
    You'll just have a bigger picture with no more detail than the source. For example, here's a small image:

Name:  small.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  2.3 KB

enlarged 4x:

Name:  large.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  14.9 KB

The picture is bigger but it doesn't have the detail of a true high definition source:

Name:  true.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  25.6 KB

You can't create real detail that isn't in the source you're starting with.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Jun 2018 at 17:18.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Upscaling from non 4K source is not 4K video.. Surely quality will not improve.. So it is a lost cause..Only way is to upload real 4K content from your 4K video cam or delpphone..

As i said "ripping and posting blurays on youtube is illegal"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    As i said "ripping and posting blurays on youtube is illegal"
    It may be fair use, depending on his usage. But obviously, if he posts whole movies he'll be shut down pretty quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You'll just have a bigger picture with no more detail than the source.
    At least a while ago it made sense to upload content in a higher resolution in some cases since YouTubes reencoding routines seem to use higher bit rates (even for lower resolution versions) depending on the input resolution,... So the 720p version of a 4k video looked better then the 720p version a 1080p version even when the original was the 1080p version and the 4k version was a resized version. (assuming you use a decent resizer like nnedi3 and not bilinear or similar,...)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    You'll just have a bigger picture with no more detail than the source.
    At least a while ago it made sense to upload content in a higher resolution in some cases since YouTubes reencoding routines seem to use higher bit rates (even for lower resolution versions) depending on the input resolution
    That may well be the case. I just meant that the upscaled version the OP created would have no more detail than the BD source.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    You'll just have a bigger picture with no more detail than the source.
    At least a while ago it made sense to upload content in a higher resolution in some cases since YouTubes reencoding routines seem to use higher bit rates (even for lower resolution versions) depending on the input resolution
    That may well be the case. I just meant that the upscaled version the OP created would have no more detail than the BD source.
    This is the case - unavoidable outcome of YT policy allocating more bits for higher resolution... especially worth to try if later YT source can be downscaled to original resolution - then overall quality will be way higher than for case where original source res was uploaded to YT.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    In short:
    I rip a bluray movie.
    I cut the scenes that I want and use some editing program to add some changes.
    Once I have the desired results then I transfer the file into a file that will be accepted as 4 by youtube as this will still give better quality than 1080p ?
    I would upload it in 1080p too anyway.

Can someone correct me ?
    Once I know the steps then I will look into more detail what programs and so on I need to use.
    Quote Quote  
  19. People never see the actual video you upload to youtube. Youtube re-encodes everything and all people see are those reencoded videos. If you upscale a 1080p video to 4K and upload that upscaled video to youtube they will create a 4k video for people to watch, but they will also automatically create 1080p, 720p, 480p, etc. versions. What Pandy and Selur are saying is that youtube's automatically downscaled 1080p video will have better quality than the video you get if you upload your 1080p video directly. If you upload 4K there's no need to separately upload a 1080p version.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Awesome ! So my next question would be:

How do I rip a bluray to 4k ? Is there a program that can rip 4k and allow me do to de very basic editing stuff ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by FROMNOW View Post
    Awesome ! So my next question would be:

How do I rip a bluray to 4k ? Is there a program that can rip 4k and allow me do to de very basic editing stuff ?

There is not one program to do all the steps required (and if there was I wouldn't recommend it).

You HAVE to use a set of tools, each one specialized for a different part of the process.

And if you're not familiar with these steps, you must learn and master each one of them SEPARATELY. This is merely a basic outline of the process...

1. Ripping the Bluray to your PC: this is the part I'm least familiar with so I won't say much, but there are plenty of resources around on the matter, and everything you need is here on videohelp I bet. You could also acquire the Bluray rip from someone or somewhere that have it already of course, but that'd be getting into a gray area of the rules so I'm not gonna delve into that...

2. Extracting a scene from the bluray rip: Here I recommend a tool such as Avidemux, it's excellent for simple cutting and extracting exactly the parts you want from a movie, and it's very easy to use. Also here you will have to learn about I-frames and the basics of h264, a key element to this process.

3. Re-encoding your scene to 4K: This is probably the trickiest part of the process, as there are many different tools you can use, with varying degrees of complexity and learning curves for a newbie. And it gets worse in this case: the most popular and newbie-friendly of those tools (such as Handbrake) won't let you up-scale to 4K, as --as you may have noticed here already-- there is this huge stigma against up-scaling in the encoding communities, since most people ignore its great use in specific cases (like this one, where you want to get the most out of youtube). My recommendation: XMedia Recode. This tool has an encoding preset specifically for Youtube 4K, which will allow you to upscale your 1080p file. The only drawback: it can be a little intimidating at first since it's a quite feature-packed program, but once you get the hang of it, it can be an extraordinarily useful tool that blows every other GUI-based encoding program out of the water. I promise.

Avoiding step 3.: If your bluray is already in 4K, you won't have to encode anything. You can just pop the 4k rip into Avidemux, extract the scene you want, and upload that file to youtube. Done. And it will have the advantage of being native 4K content plus having HDR by default. There are many movies coming in UHD bluray recently, and the number will only increase with time. IMHO it might be good idea for some popular and well known movies to get them in 4k or wait for their 4k release... even if the initial cost is higher, for a project like this, if you're like me who only cares for the best possible quality, it's definitely the way to go.

OK these are the basics steps to get you up and running. There's of course a lot more you can do to get the most out of your youtube uploads, specially in the audio department (I could write a whole guide just on audio treatment for youtube), and there's also subtitling, branding, etc. But anyway as a newbie I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet. Just to wrap up the basics I'm gonna throw here the one other tool that I use a lot: MKVToolNix (+MKVextract) - A very small but immensely powerful tool when it comes too demuxing, remuxing, cutting and joining all the components of your movie files. An absolute essential tool for many, including me.
    Quote Quote  
  22. If high quality is really necessary then Vimeo seem to be better alternative to YT (also it is possible to download source on Vimeo however i'm not sure on conditions for this) - anyway YT is bad (policy and quality reasons) and i strongly recommend to not use YT.
    Quote Quote  
  23. As has been pointed out, taking someone else's intellectual property, cutting bits out, and uploading them, is not fair use it is copyright theft. To quote the small print on a Blueray disc, "Unauthorized public broadcasting or copying is a violation of applicable laws"
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote