VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Wait, I'm confused. Isn't changing Yadif() with QTGMC() just going to output the same results as the `qtgmc.avi` file? (which were created with QTGMC())?
    It's possible it loos different you because I used a faster preset and the default if not stated in "Slow"?

And yea, why not - I didn't had a chance yet to try SD content on 42inch TV, must be fun :P Will give it a go (but I assume anyway it results may vary based on the TV brand? or all do the same de-interlacing?)

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The workflow is different:

A) interlaced source (.avi) -> bob-deinterlace (qtgmc) -> encode (50p) -> 'qtgmc.mp4' -> view
    B) interlaced source (.avi) -> encode interlaced (25i) -> 'non-qtgmc.mp4' -> bob-deinterlace (yadif or qtgmc or TV) and view

in case B) much depends on the quality of the (real-time) bobber.

I didn't had a chance yet to try SD content on 42inch TV
    Really? Never watched a DVD on your 42inch TV? Of course your captured VHS source is not DVD quality .....
    Last edited by Sharc; 24th Nov 2020 at 03:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ohhh, so you see difference between pre-encode and real-time deinterlace...
    I see. Will try it at home

EDIT: Actually - your right. DVD IS SD content. I guess I meant VHS source
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Okiba View Post
    Ohhh, so you see difference between pre-encode and real-time deinterlace...
    I haven't seen a DVD player or TV deinterlacer that works as well as QTGMC. Of course, if you have a fast computer you can use QTGMC to deinterlace in realtime during playback.

The short clip with the ibex isn't a great one for comparison. It doesn't have much in the way of sharp horizontal edges (where you will typically see flickering and aliasing with yadif and other deinterlacers). And it's too shaky to see exactly what's going on. But if you step through the script I gave frame by frame you'll see many horizontal edges bounce up and down by a scanline (or on and off) in the yadif version. There are also a lot of small spots near edges in the yadif version.

Also, keep in mind that deinterlacing 1080i material to 1080p leaves you with much smaller artifacts than deinterlacing 576i or 480i and viewing at the same 1080p screen size. So the quality of deinterlacing is more important with SD
    Quote Quote  
  5. I did some benchmarks. I think I can handle the processing time of QTGMC. I just not sure about the preset yet. I will do some testing to see if I notice the difference on big TV rather then small VLC screen.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote