VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is probably a very basic question. If I'm taking some home movies with my iphone, and I want to do some very basic editing (nothing more than trimming footage or cutting parts out of clips), what would be the best way to do that without changing the original quality very much?
    I tried iMovie a little bit, but it looks like when you're all done and you export it, that is going to have a somewhat significant change depending on what options you pick. So next I tried QuickTime Player to edit. I think that might be the best option I've discovered, because you can just save the new video (rather than exporting which you can also do on QuickTime). Anyways, I thought I would just throw it out there to run this by anyone, since I don't know much about these things.
    To be clear, I don't really care much whether what I am doing makes the file size larger or smaller (I noticed it did make the .mov's a little bigger after I saved in QuickTime, even if the clip became a few seconds shorter, but that doesn't matter much). All I'm trying to do is make simple cuts/trims and then keep the file as close to the original as possible with hopefully about the same quality. Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I'll probably just go ahead and save them after editing on QuickTime. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can try software like this, but there are no guaranties it can cut on the frame you want. gops(groups of pictures) can be up to 10 seconds long and your intended cut point may not be on an I-frame - LosslessCut
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1. The bitrate of the edited video should be similar to or greater than the original mp4 video. If you drop the bitrate in the final video, quality will go down. It's simply the nature of the reencoding process.

2. Some editors can cut without reencoding the entire remaining video. This is ideal. Tmpgenc is one example. Apparently, you find QuickTime might well do this, too.
    Quote Quote