VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. this is the codec list shown in VirtualDub Filter MOD with XP OS

D and G were really good and working.

A H I J K L M P R were bad, but i dont remember exactly.

what is the difference between ( G and N ) or (G and O )?

is T ok?

is R ok? it is from MS, i shouldnt use.

which codecs should i uninstall from my XP? it is ok to damage my OS but if you give me a small explaination. i also have the OS backup. it is safe. but sometimes i cant find the critical damage until much later

[Attachment 41967 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you uninstall any of them, you will lose the ability to play back videos compressed to that standard, unless you decide to use an all-in-one decoder like ffdshow to do that for you.

Originally Posted by sommers View Post
    what is the difference between ( G and N ) or (G and O )?
    Massive difference, and your question could have been answered with a quick Wikipedia or Google search for the H.26x terms. H.261 is an ancient codec from 1988. H.263 is the standard to which "XviD MPEG-4 Codec" compresses. The Microsoft version will differ from XviD on the compression side (it will be worse).

is T ok?
    Yes, ffdshow is more than okay.

is R ok? it is from MS, i shouldnt use.
    Pardon? WMV9 was standardized as VC-1 and used on most HD DVD and early Blu-ray releases. Development was abandoned shortly before HD DVD's death, I think, so modern H.264 compression is better.

which codecs should i uninstall from my XP?
    (Mostly) harmless option:
    None of those besides (O) MS H.263, unless you want to remove the redundancy of having both the individual FFMPEG codecs and the ffdshow all-in-one. But there are some downsides to doing that.

Theoretically-harmful option:
    If you insist, you could additionally try to uninstall these ancient codecs you will never compress with and are unlikely to need for playback unless you use very old CD-ROMs or games:
    1. (H) Cinepak
    2. (J & M) Indeo
    3. (N) MS H.261
    4. (P) MS RLE
    5. (Q) MS Video 1
    These all came pre-installed with Windows even before 2000, AFAIK, so good luck completely removing them.

Balls-to-the-wall option:
    Uninstall everything that you don't compress with on a daily basis. Re-install as needed. Configure ffdshow to decode everything else.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used this tool: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html
    It can simply disable/enable these codecs, nothing destructive.

"A" (uncompressed) cannot be bad, it is not even a codec, just an option in the list
    Quote Quote  
  4. "A" (uncompressed) cannot be bad, it is not even a codec, just an option in the list
    A B C 's videos stutter(like it plays 0.3sec fast and 0.05 sec stops then it repeats till the end ) and virtualdub doesnt load them but i forgot exactly

D was a miracle, virtualDub uses it and doesnt casue an error for modern mp4 files. since D is loading in virtualdub Filter MOD, i could do all kinds of editings in there then once done. i used G for the first time few days ago, it was good (except for a strange sync problem, i will try to get to this in another time in other thread). before G, i used XviD or DivX only for DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. what is the difference between D and E? they both seem to be ok, but since D was bearing the FFmpeg name, i chose D.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (D) Huffyuv is older, less efficient, but requires less CPU power. (E) Lagarith is better, but Ut Video and MagicYUV are newer and superior. All of these are lossless codecs, provided you match the input and output color options.

Why do you insist on using letters? I keep having to refer back to your list to see WTF you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Unless you are running a 20 MB hard drive from 1988, why uninstall any of them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. >>from 1988, why uninstall any of them?
    i decided to delete this comment
    Last edited by sommers; 22nd Jun 2017 at 21:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. >Huffyuv is older, less efficient, but requires less CPU power. Lagarith is better
    i will use Lagarith, but it will be my 1st time to actually use in the applications

>Why do you insist on using letters? I keep having to refer back to your list to see WTF you're talking about.
    I have to use letters in the same thread, but i will try not to use them in reply-threads without uploading again or i will rewrite and indiciate the letters agian, so that helpers eyes dont have to travel much next time.

> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html
    I wanted to completely uninstall somehow.
    I remember i tried the nirsoft codec util. but i didnt know which ones to choose. i went back to normal.
    Last edited by sommers; 20th Jun 2017 at 21:52.
    Quote Quote