VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear forum
    Please can I request advice.
    I have been in the habit of using Handbrake to convert videos from soft subtitles (srt files and mp4 files) into hard (burned in) subtitles and have been using Handbrake to do this.

The issue that occurs is that with the resultant output file, there are usually a couple of characters of the text missing with each line of text.

For example if someone in a line of text is saying

How are you today

with the output file it will typically say

How are you tod

or

How are you toda

Please does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, and if there is a workaround

Yours sincerely, Ian
    ian c
    Quote Quote  
  2. The problem is with "normal" characters from the Alphabet, not any special signs? Sounds like a bug. Test latest stable HandBrake, then HandBrake nightly and then make a bug report on github.

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18906
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry for the delay in reply. I did try different version eg vidcoder. it is problem with normal alphanumeric characters, not special characters
    ian c
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder and probably Handbrake create a log. Recreate the problem and post the log here
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dear all. finally I was able to arrive at the solution to the problem. In case it is of assistance to anyone I will explain here: It transpired the reason for the faulty hard coded subtitles was that the file already contained embedded soft coded subtitles. I had not removed that in handbrake before adding the .srt file. Somehow the presence of a soft embedded subtitle in the mp4 meant interference in the encoding using the srt. Once I realized I had to remove the soft subtitles the output hard subtitles were always perfect.
    Strangely for some one was not able to hard encode the embedded subtitle directly without obtaining the faulty hard subtitling. Why that is I dont know. My method was first to extract the embedded soft subtitles as an .srt file using subtitle edit and then use that .srt file to do the hard encode in handbrake (but not until I had removed the embedded soft subs)
    Hope this makes sense in spite of my limitations of explaining things
    ian c
    Quote Quote