VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've searched and searched for some 'how to' instructions. Many threads say "you can use WMSE to demux and remux the audio" but no-one actually says how to. It's supposed to be tool in WME, but it's not listed under tools. If i search help in WME with "mux" or "demux" i get 'no topics found'. And i've been playing with the app for an hour now and i'm none the wiser.

So, can anyone tell me what buttons to press, please?

(All i want to do is change the audio codec - which my media player doesn't like - without reencoding the video.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's a separate tool. You should see it in the start menu -> programs-> windows media encoder->Tools->Media Stream Editor.

Or try WMVMuxer
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yep - got it, thanks Baldrick. Now HTF do i demux with it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. you don't need to demux it

1) add your original video, and new audio to the audiences list
    2) expand the boxes by hitting the "+" key
    3) select the video & audio stream that you want (checkmark them) push add->
    4) push create file
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. I get the idea now. But i think i need to demux first to create a different wma track for the new video. Or maybe there's a better method to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  6. not necessarily, it depends on what software you are using, and what conversion you are doing

details would help, are you converting 5.1 WMApro to 2.0 for example ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. No, just plain stereo WMA 10 Professional to WMA 2.

I processed the original video in WME and ended up with WMA 2 audio in the new file. I then used WMSE to mux the video from the original file with the audio from the processed file and that seemd to work

Thanks for the tips.
    Quote Quote  
  8. In the future, instead of doing both video & audio (which is much slower to encode both) , you could have done just the audio

A number of ways to do this, e.g. avisynth directshowsource() + wmnicenc, and you don't have to demux

If you did want to demux , for whatever reason, you could use asfbin (essentially copy the audio stream or video stream to a new file)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    In the future, instead of doing both video & audio (which is much slower to encode both) , you could have done just the audio

A number of ways to do this, e.g. avisynth directshowsource() + wmnicenc, and you don't have to demux
    Useful little tool - thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to demux a WMV and I have WME 9 (Version 9.00.00.2980 to be specific), and there's NO option under Tools that says "Media Stream Editor". There's a "Generate Stream Format File", but that's greyed out.

I simply need to demux a WMV into it's component streams. In my case, it's only got a WMA stream, which is what I want. I do not want to reencode it; I just want the WMA file.

I can't use WMVMuxer 1.0 or 1.0.2 as the install instructions include a step "register the .AX file" and I don't know how to do that.

But I'd prefer to demux w/WME9 if it's possible.

UPDATE: I partly misread Baldrick's comment. It's not in Tools in WME itself; it's a separate program. Start, Programs, Windows Media, Utilities, Windows Media Stream Editor. I did one file successfully, but it's still a bit confusing. I think I can re-wade through it again til I figure out things. (I thought it'd be simpler.)
    Last edited by TCmullet; 5th Feb 2013 at 20:27. Reason: Basically a retraction by way of new info I found on my own.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    [ never mind ]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hello,

I use WMVStreamEditor to mux "audio from 1 wmv file" and "script and header scripts" from another wmv file. But this tool is a GUI one on windows.

I would like to know if there's any alternate to do the same above as "command line" so I can do batch process.

Thanks
    Quote Quote