VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This clip is coming from hi8 with no re-cap possible. I just noticed the background trees are wonky and it has some dropouts in it. Short of rotoscoping, is there any free software that can help it?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. What you have are short time base errors causing a few lines to shift horizontally now and then. I don't see any automated way of fixing that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can fix a little of this with some plugins; smooth the flow a bit with QTGMC, then reinterlace. But more sophisticated work with mvtools might help as well (if you have the time for that), and it might come down to some frame-by-frame effort here and there -- some of those horizontal rips last for 7 frames. There are also oversharpening edge artifacts that were fixed here.

wonkyQt2N.mpg

You should repack this tape a few times. Repacking means to fast-forward the tape without playing and without pause to the end of the reel, then rewind without playing and without pause to the beginning. Repeat this a time or two, so that the tape lies in the feed reel more flatly with fewer ridge and bumps in the winding. This helps get smoother loading from the feed reel. It's no cure-all, but you'd often be surprised at the results.

You need a line tbc, either built-in to the player or capture adapter, or as a pass-thru device.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that.

I've got some time to fix this. Unfortunately, that was just a little of the clip (I'm on dialup). It's about 100mb DV-AVI. I don't have the cam anymore but used to use that trick. I'll trying messing with mvtools & QTGMC. I've also another version of the clip using a device (DataVideo 100) but it's oversaturated and looks horrible compared to the cam cap I'm working with. Still, I have some sort of error-free backup.

I can always rotoscope with video paint I have from Ulead...Seems you should be able to select a range of frames to paste into. I'll mess with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the Datavideo TBC-100 is a full-level tbc. Those won't address line timing (wiggle) problems. Try browsing this thread: Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC, or this thread with video samples of two damaged tapes, or this thread handling beat-up old copy protected VHS.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:18.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know if the TBC-100 cap has fewer sync problems or not, but over saturation is much easier to fix than time base errors.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ...and, yep, as noted, there are levels, crushed detail, and saturation problems as well as rips.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really like that last one. Thanks a ton.
    I'll pop it into the timeline but watch to make sure it's not re-encoded again.
    So used to m2t, I forgot this was hi8 from 16 years ago...
    Last edited by zoobie; 16th May 2012 at 00:24.
    Quote Quote