VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've encoded a 1080i x264 video to a 720p avi using the Lagarith lossless codec. However it seems as though it uses the same bitrate for 720p as it does for 1080i. Is there any way to get it to use a lower bitrate for 720p?

Or are there any other lossless codecs you can suggest that will give a lower bitrate for 720P?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Typically temporal compression lossless codecs will give better compression ratio e.g. ffv1, x264 in lossless mode with long gop . Lagarith is intraframe only (each frame is individually encoded, instead of using information from other frames and making predictions to reduce filesize)

The "negatives" include reduced compatibility in some applications, slower encoding and significantly slower decoding speed . So depending on the usage scenario you might not want to use them

Do you really need a "lossless" codec ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Lossless or Uncompressed - I'll use whatever gives the lowest file size. You mentioned a long gop. I usually use 250. What gop setting should I use?

The reason I want to encode to uncompressed/lossless is that my scripts are very slow so I'll encode to uncompressed/lossless 1 time. Then I can encode that uncompressed/lossless video to a watchable x264 video without a script at a really fast speed since I'm not using a slow script that time. The point is that if I ever want to encode the video again in the future to a future format for example then I can just encode the lossless video really quickly.

What indexers support uncompressed/lossless videos? Need something that will work with MeGUI One-click for batch processing.
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 17th Apr 2018 at 19:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 720p60 is about the same amount of information as 1080i30. That's why they were chosen for broadcast.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Lossless or Uncompressed - I'll use whatever gives the lowest file size. You mentioned a long gop. I usually use 250. What gop setting should I use?
    Lossless compression

You can leave the GOP settings at default 250 . There are negligible gains in most cases if you increase it.

You have to use --crf 0 or --qp 0 for lossless mode

The reason I want to encode to uncompressed/lossless is that my scripts are very slow so I'll encode to uncompressed/lossless 1 time. Then I can encode that uncompressed/lossless video to a watchable x264 video without a script at a really fast speed since I'm not using a slow script that time.
    Not sure that makes any sense, unless you were using multipass encoding for the "final" version, or you are encoding multiple distribution versions

If your single "final" version was using 1pass CRF, you're just adding the extra time of encoding a lossless version on top so it will actually be slower overall

Probably it would make more sense to try optimize the script, or use avisynth+ x64 MT if you are not already

What indexers support uncompressed/lossless videos?
    Both ffms2, lsmash support x264, ffv1
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    The point is that if I ever want to encode the video again in the future to a future format for example then I can just encode the lossless video really quickly.
    Ah I didn't see your edit... You're going to keep and store the lossless intermediate

But on the other hand, what if some super duper filters and workflow come around ? Making your filtered version obsolete or a lot worse relatively speaking ? . So many people would keep the original

Need something that will work with MeGUI One-click for batch processing.
    Not sure, I don't really use megui for many years . But I would think x264 qp 0 should work
    Quote Quote  
  7. Will 10bit x264 lossless give a lower file size than 8bit? Non-lossless usually gives around 20% lower file size than 8bit.

I don't usually encode to x265 as I've been told that it doesn't yet retain small details as well as x264 does. But what if I encode to x265 lossless?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Will 10bit x264 lossless give a lower file size than 8bit? Non-lossless usually gives around 20% lower file size than 8bit.

I don't usually encode to x265 as I've been told that it doesn't yet retain small details as well as x264 does. But what if I encode to x265 lossless?
    Nope. In most cases , 8bit x264 will actually yield lower filesizes than both 10bit x264, or x265 8/10/12 bit for the lossless case specifically.

The only things you can tweak are GOP size, and presets can make a small difference . Usually not worth it using slower presets. It might take 5-10x slower to encode for 1-2% compression gain

x265 is a lot better than it used to be - it can retain small details now with the right settings. Overall it probably is better than x264 now in the majority of scenarios from a pure quality/compression viewpoint.

But for lossless encoding, long gop x264 8bit and FFV1 are the best for 8bit 4:2:0 content in terms of compression
    Quote Quote