VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why on earth would Sony spend the fortune they have spent promoting BlueRay and not even bother to make sure that a company they own has FULL BlueRay support in DVD Architect / Sony Vegas Pro 8? The only thing you can do with Sony's own product is make a play only, no menu BR disc. What a joke! You might be able to understand this with an independent software program; but Sony itself, unbelievable!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    Why on earth would Sony spend the fortune they have spent promoting BlueRay and not even bother to make sure that a company they own has FULL BlueRay support in DVD Architect / Sony Vegas Pro 8? The only thing you can do with Sony's own product is make a play only, no menu BR disc. What a joke! You might be able to understand this with an independent software program; but Sony itself, unbelievable!
    You're joking..... right ??
    You do realize you are talking about $ony..... right ??

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I 'm being very sarcastic. Un F#c&%*# real!
    Quote Quote  
  4. The BD is format foremost for Studios to make sure people cannot make copies of the movie. In fact Sony even plays with the idea not to allow user authoring outside the BDAV unless you pay a hefty licence.
    Really they would actually prefer for users not touching BD, just buying and buying the Movies. I think soon or later we will have the Sony one-click solution that will simply copy video from your Sony HD camera to the BDAV folder, but forget any serious authoring!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sony sells a $60,000 authoring tool and just won the format war. Why would they allow any Joe Shmo to author a BD disc now? Wait a couple years. You couldn't author a DVD 8 years ago unless you invested heavily...same situation now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't confuse the acquired ex-Sonic Foundry Madison Wisconsin Sony Creative Software with Sony Corporate. Since they are now owned by Sony, the "Vegas" products have prioritized features like uncompressed support of HDCAM/Digital Betacam and MPeg support for HDV/XDCAM/AVCHD but they aren't the center of BluRay authoring.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Don't confuse the acquired ex-Sonic Foundry Madison Wisconsin Sony Creative Software with Sony Corporate. Since they are now owned by Sony, the "Vegas" products have prioritized features like uncompressed support of HDCAM/Digital Betacam and MPeg support for HDV/XDCAM/AVCHD but they aren't the center of BluRay authoring.
    Sounds like an opportunity for the competition to bite a major chunk our of Vegas's butt. Who knows, maybe some of the people at the Madison operation will get fed up taking their marching orders from the Shogun War Lords and spin out and start a new company. That is one of the major inspirations for startup companies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are much larger companies like Sonic (now owns Roxio) working on BluRay authoring for the masses. It will probably be some new company that wins the game. When BluRay writers get cheap, solutions will appear.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Provided you will be allowed to play BDMV BD-R on players without paying AACS licence. Yes you have few simple BD authoring for masses but some players play BDMV on BD-R, some don't, depending on firmware and brand. ANd BDAV isn't much about authoring, just putting files on disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    does ulead make anythjing
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Attention Software Developers:

Now is your chance to make some money. Are you up to it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Attention Software Developers:

There are several companies developing BD authoring tools...you'll see authoring prices come down someday...just not this year or probably next.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    Attention Software Developers:

Given the constant demand for FREE tools for everything from DVD authoring to video editing, I think your statement is perhaps overly optimistic, although if someone builds a good authoring program that can sell for less than $100, I think that they might find a marketplace for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer
    ULead got acquired by Corel. That usually means short time support followed by RIP .
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is one of those pivotal moments that can reorder market share and success (or failure) for software companies. There is clearly a need for BlueRay editing and authoring tools. I happened to see a notice on a local videographer's web site. He primarily does weddings. On the page that describes the various packages that he offers, he says that he will offer BlueRay discs at some undefined future date "when the tools become available to do so."

Video software companies basically have three choices. They can ignore the opportunity; they can take their sweet time with a half-hearted program; or they can "shit and get" and aggressively develop and market well featured BlueRay tools. It's these sort of baseline defining moments that well managed companies take advantage of and as a result significantly benefit from their foresight and hard work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I find that I almost exclusively use TMPGEnc DVD Author except for projects that require a bit more ... for instance I've used DVD Maestro and DVD-Lab Pro in the past ... but these days TMPGEnc DVD Author does enough for me even if the menu design is somewhat limited.

Maybe the folks at Pegasys will come through with Blu-Ray authoring ... would be sweet if it happens!

Of course this is mostly academic for most including myself ... while I do have a Sony PS3 and a HDTV I do not as of yet have any BD hardware in the computer nor a HD camcorder of any sort. I have a Hauppauge HDTV capture card but it sucks and I haven't used it in ages so I don't even have OTA recording other than what my Comcast DVR cable box will allow.

The fact that I even have a HDTV and a BD player puts me ahead of most people LOL

Will probably be a while yet before we see a consumer easy-to-use BD authoring solution and that will probably be driven by the HD camcorder market.

Which reminds me ... I have no idea how good it is ... but Aiptek makes a 720p camcorder that has a USA MSRP of $250 which is very tempting ... love to play with one of those ... my pocket book could actually afford that LOL

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mariot
    In fact Sony even plays with the idea not to allow user authoring outside the BDAV unless you pay a hefty licence.
    Forgive me if I'm on a different boat, but did you mean "outside the BDMV" structure instead? Programs like TsReMux can take an M2TS file and create the BDMV structure for you easily. No menus, no guarantee of stream compliancy, but you do get the BDMV for now.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ULead got acquired by Corel. That usually means short time support followed by RIP .
    Actually I recently bought Corel Dvd Copy 6 to convert vobs to wmv for my zune. It works great. None fine. of the freebie stuff worked on full 4gig and up vob files. Dvd Copy 6 works just fine.

Are you saying that Corel kills good software or that Corel is going to go belly up?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Actually I recently bought Corel Dvd Copy 6 to convert vobs to wmv for my zune. It works great. None fine. of the freebie stuff worked on full 4gig and up vob files. Dvd Copy 6 works just fine.

Are you saying that Corel kills good software or that Corel is going to go belly up?
    I'm saying I need to see Corel investing in new versions of ULead products before I comsider them a player. BluRay authoring will be a major investment.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Corel is pretty much interested in increasing share price, so their venture capital owner is putting money into hot keywords such as "Blu-ray, HD, etc" and acquiring companies that have large market share in emerging markets.

Mind you that by acquisition of Ulead and Intervideo they didn't move the development from Hong Kong. Is not like they put their few developers that are left on it. The companies work almost like before, but it is now marketed and accounted by Vector Capital, where they hope for Corel for higher p/e ratio of their stocks. And it is now their call to say which projects take the drain and which not.

The problem with "killing" the software is more of their strategy - Corel doesn't really care much about the software itself. If it helps to give them higher earnings and higher stock price, then all is dandy but if it doesn't, they will ditch the company/product to somebody else to get a profit on sale. Corel is known to quickly jump on tons of "hot" topics in software and hardware then abandon them equally fast if they don't work.

It is their way of work. Seems to still work for them although few years ago they run out of money and sold off to Vector Capital in 2003 for a buck a share or so, later in 2006 coming back to market with new IPOs starting at $16 buck a share. Today it is $10 a share. No wonder their strategy is now to 100% please Wall Street no matter what, not the users. This will continue even more so where the brass will try to impose will over the acquired companies and quickly throw out projects that don't generate enough hype, like DVD Workshop etc...

It is loose cannon and, I can guarantee you they will again come down back to zero spending all the money and earning millions of losses as before (since their 2006 IPO the stock has been going steadily down, it never went over the IPO price - a great sign of failed company), looking for somebody else to bail them out.
    Just wait it out, or if you can short them - you will make tons of money.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR
    In fact Sony even plays with the idea not to allow user authoring outside the BDAV unless you pay a hefty licence.
    Forgive me if I'm on a different boat, but did you mean "outside the BDMV" structure instead? Programs like TsReMux can take an M2TS file and create the BDMV structure for you easily. No menus, no guarantee of stream compliancy, but you do get the BDMV for now.
    It is not problem to make BDMV, but to play it on player. The old idea is that Studios will play with the BDMV and users with their BD-R will play with the limited BDAV. This is what Studios always wanted and parto of Sony is a Studio as well. The other part of Sony thinks the user could mess in BDMV assuring that cop from BDMV to BDMV on BD-R would not play. Very hard to do it this way. If the Studio can ever win the argument then the players will disable playback of BDMV on BD-R, simple as that.
    Why do you think they tinker with it for so long and releasing BD V2, BD V3 each with different tweaks what can play and what not. It is all about making sure the BD-R copies of Studio movies will not play.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The companies work almost like before, but it is now marketed and accounted by Vector Capital, where they hope for Corel for higher p/e ratio of their stocks. And it is now their call to say which projects take the drain and which not.
    Investors like Vector Capital are company killers. By virtue of their ownership position, they have absolute control. The company killing process occurs over three stages:

Stage 1 - Impose their will on the operating company(s)
    . Invariably they have little to no understanding of the technology or markets involved. Instead they resort to buzzword and knee-jerk decision making. When they start announcing the "New Company Direction", the best talent resents the incompetent intrusion and leaves the company. The weak sisters that remain in the company are too intimidated to speak up or challenge the "New Company Direction" so off they go building a two-legged table or something equally weird.

Stage 2 - The chickens come home to roost. The "New Company Direction" didn't work so it's blood-bath time. The enormous egos of the VC can't handle the notion of being wrong so they splatter blood all over the company. Of course this accomplishes nothing.

Stage 3 - The company fails.
    Pretty much self explanatory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interesting about dat...and corel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great topic guys. However, I have long ditched the speculation factor in this new disc format thing, even before the war ended. The politics will play out for some time still and we can only sit and watch for now.

What I mean is that whether we can generate a proper BDMV, or BDVA, structure, whether we can burn to a DvD-5/9, BD-9, BD-R(E), etc. is not important. These are all just logistics and expensive experiments for now. The mechanics of disc structure, and disc burning, are not an issue because content can always be easily migrated from one structure/format to another.

The crucial thing for today that we, as users and hobbyists in this community, have to focus on is what makes a compliant video stream. What encoding methods work to get a proper MPEG-2, H.264, or even VC-1, stream playable on BD players should be the priority.

We can always re-mux or re-burn. The key is not having to re-encode ever down the road...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Maybe the folks at Pegasys will come through with Blu-Ray authoring ... would be sweet if it happens!
    YES!!! 8)

Interesting how the LG GGW20 has come down in price and also interesting that BD players are not more expensive to produce than dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't doubt this for a moment that the folks at Pegasys have it in a work in progress as we speak. Hopefully it's like their current edition, which creates a disc structure losslessly if the files are DvD compliant, but will warn about re-encoding if not. Scenarist apparently does this, but that's a whole different language and the price is just not worth it....
    Interesting how the LG GGW20 has come down in price and also interesting that BD players are not more expensive to produce than dvd players.
    As long as you have a margin, and even not so, pricing an item has very little to do with its costs. The market drives the price - and skimming the market at a higher price in the earlier life cycle of a product is not uncommon, especially when the profit opportunity is clearly there.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was just looking at ULead's web site and they claim that Ulead VideoStudio 11.5 Plus will author BDMV discs with menus (including motion menus.) Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this product?

http://ulead.com/vs/features.htm

Adobe Encore CS3 also claims BlueRay authoring. I assume this is BDMV, not BDAV but I didn't see a comment on this on their web site. http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/encore/
    Quote Quote