VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I work with video subtitling and I'm looking into creating tutorials for a subtitling software I use. I experimented with Jing and Screencast-o-matic and ran into the same problem with both.

The subtitling software uses external renderers and VobSub to display the film and its subtitles inside the software interface. When I capture my screen, including narration and demonstration, the film inside the subtitling software is not captured.

I've tried converting it to simpler formats like wmv but the issue remains. I feel I'm missing some silly setting but I can't figure it out.

Just to check, I tried using Subtitle Workshop v. 6.0, opening the same video file with the same renderers and VobSub, and the issue was solved! The film clip was properly recorded with Screencast-o-matic. Whatever happens with this other software doesn't happen with Subtitle Workshop.

Any ideas? I use Windows 7.

Thanks!
    Carol

(media translator)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use an old version of CamStudio https://www.videohelp.com/download/Camstudio-2.0-w32.zip. It captures semitransparent screens, and works great with x264vfw. It may work for you, I don't know as I don't work with subtittles.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some (older) video/image capture software will not capture anything that is rendered through DirectX or when video acceleration is at work.

You can try Bandicam (trial version) and see if that works.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use an old version of CamStudio https://www.videohelp.com/download/Camstudio-2.0-w32.zip. It captures semitransparent screens, and works great with x264vfw.
    Thanks. I had read that CamStudio bundles a ton of unwanted software, so I didn't install it. I'll give it a try.

Some (older) video/image capture software will not capture anything that is rendered through DirectX or when video acceleration is at work.
    You can try Bandicam (trial version) and see if that works.
    I had read in another thread about hardware video acceleration and I made sure that one of my wmv versions of the film clip was not rendered with acceleration, but it still didn't show in the capture with both Jing and Screencast-o-matic. I'll try Bandicam and come back with results.

Thanks!
    Carol

(media translator)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Start a video playing in a media player (and leave it playing, and don't minimize the window) before starting the software you want. The media player will get video overlay, the other software will then render to the Desktop rather than via video overlay.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone! Bandicam for the win! I loved how many different options it has. It captured the software interface with the rendered video clip plus subtitles superimposed by VobSub, including the audio from the video plus my voice over the mic. And I could even overlay my webcam, for instance to show my hands using the keyboard shortcuts. Absolutely loved it! Even the pro version is a bargain, considering what it does.
    Carol

(media translator)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!