VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i want buy hdmi cable to connect my latop with my TV 19"

but when play video, i see into my TV AND on laptop or video play only to my TV??

I would like to see it ONLY on TV and not even have a playback on laptop... if a video lasts 2 hours i find it useless for it to play on 2 screens at the same time...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I find it's better to have the laptop screen stay on so I can watch a movie and pron at the same time.

You should be able to change the window mode. Mirror, stretched, independent monitors etc. I'm not sure if you can disable the laptop screen (I can't remember) but is there a function key on the laptop that looks like a monitor, or maybe a PC and a monitor? For me it's Function + F5.

I tend to open the video on the main (laptop) screen and drag it over to the TV, then run it full screen, but you can configure some players (ie MPC-HC) to automatically use a certain monitor in full screen mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most laptops have a setting which lets you view on just the laptop, on just the TV (connected via HDMI, VGA, or other connection), or both. On many computers (Dell, HP, Lenovo) you can access this setting via the keyboard. It is usually a "shift" using the Fn key (or similar). Just cycle through the options until
    Quote Quote  
  4. tanxs for your reply.
    understand. my only doubt was (i repeat) not to have the same video playing on both TV and pc... it seems to me a useless thing
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    i want buy hdmi cable to connect my latop with my TV 19"

but when play video, i see into my TV AND on laptop or video play only to my TV??

I would like to see it ONLY on TV and not even have a playback on laptop... if a video lasts 2 hours i find it useless for it to play on 2 screens at the same time...
    If your laptop is running Windows 10 or Windows 8/8.1, those have a "Second screen only" setting for laptops.

1. Plug in an external monitor.
    2. Change the display configuration to "Second screen only". (using the Windows logo key+P keyboard shortcut).
    3. Change the display configuration to "Duplicate" (using the Windows logo key+P keyboard shortcut again).

Laptops running Windows 7 have a "Projector only" setting. Connect a projector device to your computer. Choose Start→Control Panel and click the "Connect to a Projector" link in the Hardware and Sound settings. Choose a display setting. The Projector settings window closes.

Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    tanxs for your reply.
    understand. my only doubt was (i repeat) not to have the same video playing on both TV and pc... it seems to me a useless thing
    The laptop screen will be dark if you are using the "Second screen only" or "Projector only" settings.

[Edit]If you want the TV to play video stored on the laptop by itself, the TV can't do that unless it is a smart TV connected to your home network. To play the video you use DLNA and file sharing to allow the TV access to the video file via your home network. You don't need HDMI to connect the TV and the laptop to do this. The laptop must be turned on and set up to share files over your home network.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Feb 2021 at 12:55.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    tanxs for your reply.
    Did you read what I wrote?? If you want the video to only display on your TV, and not on your laptop, that is easy to do with your keyboard, without having to go to the Control Panel and change display settings.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok, understand. tanxs to everybody for your support!
    Quote Quote