VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello
    A friend of mine asked me this a long time ago, and I didn't know.
    I've seen it now again and I remembered about it so I thought I'd ask here because Google was of no help, at least for my way of searching.

As the title says, very often, in old movies especially, when the number 10 appears in a subtitle, the digits are between a space.
    Like so
    "Goodness...
    You say everything 1 0 times over."

Does anyone know why this happens?
    I'm hinting on some software bug or something.
    I doubt that someone creating subtitles manually would add a space between 1 and 0.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Since monospaced fonts lack kerning, skinny characters like "1" can look badly set if they are not centered.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Since monospaced fonts lack kerning, skinny characters like "1" can look badly set if they are not centered.
    But there's an actual space in the .srt
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know exactly why, but it's an OCR software glitch that I've seen with non-subtitle programs also.

It happens when a subtitle is converted from a bitmapped (image) sub to a text based one. It doesn't only happen with 1 & 0, it can be any number starting with 1. It's probably because the software thinks the "1" is an "I" and separates it from the number(s) following it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Has to do with how the spacing of 1 is. If the title has closed captions its not present. Prime example star next generation DVD on stardate "number". Always has a space in OCR. But if I extract the closed captions it not present. Annoying but it is what it is lol
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Don't know exactly why, but it's an OCR software glitch that I've seen with non-subtitle programs also.

It happens when a subtitle is converted from a bitmapped (image) sub to a text based one. It doesn't only happen with 1 & 0, it can be any number starting with 1. It's probably because the software thinks the "1" is an "I" and separates it from the number(s) following it.
    That makes sense.
    It could be.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dannyboy48888 View Post
    Has to do with how the spacing of 1 is. If the title has closed captions its not present. Prime example star next generation DVD on stardate "number". Always has a space in OCR. But if I extract the closed captions it not present. Annoying but it is what it is lol
    I don't think it has to do with spacing as almost all word processing software kerning spaces number and letters correctly.

The font in your CC is probably san serif so the "1" doesn't have the extra line on the bottom making it easier for the software to recognize it as a number and not the letter "I"
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It has to do with whoever is converting the subtitles from graphics based ones and not correcting any mistakes due to the ocr process not being perfect.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. When programs do OCR, a lot of the new one ask the USER what it is looking at ...If the user is lazy he will get 1 0 instead of 10..

One can use the subtitle editor's spell check to fix some of these errors...
    Quote Quote