VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’m looking to build a monster video editing pc using all new components [except for my hard drives]?

I had a raid-0 set up and accidently broke the raid. My hard drives were old so I recently bought a SSD for boot/OS and two 6TB HDD’s for captures (currently set up independently).

Now I want to totally upgrade the mobo, gpu etc, yet keep the new(er) drives.

-My new SSD is pre-loaded with all my programs and Windows 7/64. If I upgrade to Windows 10, how do I know if the programs will function? Will they even work if I keep WIN7 with all the new components?

-Intel vs. AMD Ryzen? Some video editing programs work better with Intel. I use Vegas Pro 12. I also use DVDFAB, SoundForge, Audacity etc.

-since the capture devises are HHD’s should I set them up as raid-0? I don’t plan on storing anything on them (expect for the current project).

Support for Windows 7 might be going away like the days of XP so it might be a good time to upgrade Windows?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What throughput bandwidth needs are you expecting? (Usu. based on type of compression, rez, framerate - ultimately the read and/or write bitrates). That makes the diff between just needing JBODs vs. RAID0.

If your stuff is mission-critical, consider using Raid1 boot SSDs and Raid10 media drives, for the security of redundancy.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If your stuff is mission-critical, consider using Raid1 boot SSDs and Raid10 media drives, for the security of redundancy.

Scott
    I currently edit 1080p, but sort-of wanted to future proof in case I ever step up to 4K.

This is a hobby, not my livelihood but I do want speed.

I know SSD's are faster but don't have the storage capacity. So far my HD captures are 12gig per 1minute. So that's why I was wondering if I should set up the capture drives as raid-0 (I read raid-o writes/reads faster than independent drives).

Oh ya..am I a dinosaur? but do new towers not have a slot for optical drives?
    Quote Quote