VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello
    I encode videos with low bitrates (980). I normally get 300fps when --direct is 'spatial' but when i change it to 'auto' in some videos it uses 'temporal' mod and slow downs to 250fps.
    What is difference between spatial and temporal mod?
    Does it have a BIG part on quality?

p.s: sorry for my bad English
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What program and format or codec are you using to encode the videos? Megui? More information would be helpful.

Someone here should know something about Spatial VS Temporal 'mod'.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use Megui x264
    x264 settings
    program --level 4.1 --pass 2 --bitrate 950 --stats ".stats" --threads 16 --deblock -1:-1 --keyint 240 --ref 5 --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --vbv-bufsize 25000 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --me umh --direct auto --trellis 2 --psy-rd 1.0:0.15 --output "output" "input"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll change your title to 'Do I need to use direct with Megui x264' and that should give you more answers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm not sure if a 50fps slowdown is unexpected. "Spatial" means it's searching in the same frame. "Temporal" means it's searching adjoining frames. "Auto" means it'll do what's working best.

I tried a quick test. Only 2000 frames and a standard definition source (and my PC is slow) with the rest of x264 setting the defaults.

Spatial: 246 fps
    Temporal: 235 fps
    Audio: 233 fps

Not a huge difference but it'd probably increase a bit at higher resolutions, if there's a lot of motion (my test sample didn't have a lot) and when using --me umh (compared to --me hex).
    Quote Quote