VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Essentially every one of the subtitle lines in my current project that play one after the other have been assigned a gap of 0.001 seconds. I.e. one ends at 23.019 and the next begins at 23.020. I thought at first that this would result in a frame-seamless presentation, but it turns out that no, when the video is played back in a media player, typically there is a one-frame gap.

Subtitle Edit does not object to one line ending at the exact same millisecond that another begins. So I've begun manually plugging those 1ms holes. But obviously it would be nice if there was a one-button way of achieving the same thing. Or, at the very least, a way of tweaking how much the up/down arrows adjust duration (default: 100ms).

This will probably be the last question I bug folks with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, in Settings --> General, there is "Min. gap between subtitles in ms". Set this to zero.
    Secondly, right-click on a line/lines that needs editing --> "Extend to line before" or "Extend to line after".

Note that not every mediaplayer is keen on subs with no or too small gaps in-between them. I have one that needs at least one frametime.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > Note that not every mediaplayer is keen on subs with no or too small gaps in-between them.

I can imagine. Though I can also imagine that media players with a little foresight put into them will tend to account for various things. The only players that concern me, in this case, are MPC-BE on Win10 and Kodi on Nvidia Shield. Kodi has its share of kinks which bizarrely never seem to get ironed out despite the high profile, open nature of the app, but I can't recall any subtitle issues with it so far.
    Quote Quote