VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried to answer my question by searching prior posts but there were just too many posts in the past six months that had the keywords I was using. I want to build a htpc - as usual, on a tight budget. I want to be able to do the following:
    - play and record internet radio, even while performing some other task
    - play and record tv programs
    - watch and record internet tv programs
    - play and record fm radio
    - play CD's, VCD's, SVCD's and DVD's
    - do video chat online
    - surf

I will not use this pc to edit or render files, only to capture them. It is important, though, to be able to do 2 or 3 tasks simultaneously, i.e. watch something, record an audiocast online and record a program on tv. I have not made the linux/windows decision yet either so would appreciate any opinions you have on this subject - especially pertaining to stability. I will be leaving this pc on 24/7

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well...this is kind of a broad subject, and probably can't be answered. Your demands have as much to do with software as they do hardware. Personally, if you are trying to keep cost down, I would go with an amd athlon processor. (low heat = less power req's = less noise). RAM is so cheap these days, it doesn't make sense to go with less than a gig. Do you have an old machine that you want to cnovert, or are you purchasing new? I don't think there is a software package that will do ALL of what you want, but GBPVR will do most. If you want it to 'look & feel' real nice than mce is the way to go(more $$$ though). gbpvr is free.
    watch & record internet tv programs? Not sure how you would go about doing that...guess you would have to grab the stream with streambox or something like that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of your budget will be going towards cpu and HD(s). Video capture eats up a lot of space.

You can answer all of your questions here: http://www.htpcnews.com/
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yours is a very ambitious goal. Your multiple task requirements call for at least a dual core cpu (high end AMD like AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or an Intel Pentium D 830) if you're looking for smooth operation. Or you can look into a dual cpu motherboard like the ASUS K8N-DL Dual Socket 940 running dual AMD Opterons. Add to that something like an ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT graphics card and the Radio Shark and you'll be on your way to a good start.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I disagree with the 'high-end' part. No need for a great graphics card either. Do you have anything lying around? With the exception of recording internet video, I do all of what you want at the same time, with an athlon64 3500+ and a geforce 6600 (heat sink, no fan = no noise). Does it need to be silent? Sounds like Haopeng needs to do some more reading. Kind of a general post.
    Quote Quote