VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, I am looking at this with the AVCHD format. I have the FX1000 which is HDV format. If I mix the 2 formats in editing will this work? I use Pinnacle 14 as I have found it renders the fastest. I also see the AVCHD is a full 1920X1080. I am wondering is there is a noticeable difference??

Any feedback is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the difference is in editing speed. HDV is mpeg-2, avchd is mpeg-4. HDV is much easier and requires less brute computing strength to edit. if you want to mix the 2 i'd say get a digital intermediate format like neoscene to edit in.

if that's your actual computer spec in your profile you won't be able to edit avchd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    /\ +1 Neoscene will convert both formats to easy to edit Cineform AVI.

1920x1080 PLUS 24Mb recording capability makes the latest AVCD cameras technically higher quality than HDV - if the camcorders were identical. Your FX1000 is a very good camcorder, so the difference will be less.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have up graded my machine a couple times and have lots of hourse power. I rendered some Mpeg-4 files at full hd and played around with them. They were much slower to edit then the HDV files as your point is very clear. I believe I will stay with hdv for now.

When you make the conversion with neoscene, do you loose quality? Is it still HD quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 392
    I have up graded my machine a couple times and have lots of hourse power. I rendered some Mpeg-4 files at full hd and played around with them. They were much slower to edit then the HDV files as your point is very clear. I believe I will stay with hdv for now.

When you make the conversion with neoscene, do you loose quality? Is it still HD quality?
    Yes the Neoscene digital intermediate is HD and low loss. It converts the 15 frame MPeg GOPs in HDV or AVCHD to all full frames for easy editing. There are also benefits for effects editing or filtering. They have a free demo.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote