VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I am in Montreal, Canada, can anyone please point me a good retailer for a Blu-ray recorder purchase ?

Any specific recommendation on a brand/model please ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does such a thing exist at consumer level?

What do you want to record?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They do in my part of the world. They may do in yours.
    http://www.panasonic.co.nz/at-home/entertainment/blu-ray-products/dmr-bw850gzk.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. That's the MSRP but real world they are about NZ$1400 ~ 1500
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Thanks, but it seems I`ve been misunderstood, I am looking for a regular PC based Blu-Ray recorder dealer in Montreal, Canada.

I am new to the city so I don`t know good retailers for that - even on-line ones.

Thanks,
    Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zetti View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks, but it seems I`ve been misunderstood, I am looking for a regular PC based Blu-Ray recorder dealer in Montreal, Canada.

I am new to the city so I don`t know good retailers for that - even on-line ones.

Thanks,
    Zetti

I have to echo edDV's previous post -

Does such a thing exist?

I know what a BluRay recorder is and I know that they exist, but unless you can give a clear cut example that what you are talking actually does exist, then I don't think we can guide you towards purchasing a non-existent item. The price range listed means that almost nobody in North America will own one yet, if ever. DVD recorders are just about dead here, so you're going to have to do work to convince consumers that something that costs about $1000 US is just what they need when they can't even sell DVD recorders for $100 US or so. Almost nobody in North America wants to keep what they record, so there's no interest.

I should add that I am talking about BluRay recorders for $1000 US and not this presumably mythical "PC based BluRay recorder".
    Last edited by jman98; 5th Apr 2010 at 11:56. Reason: Add final paragraph for clarity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was in Vancouver last month and the retailer had ran out of Blu-ray burners that costs around $300 or so, now I`ve moved to Montreal and wanna buy one here. The retailer told me that he sells these so much that he had ran out.

PC = personal computer

Thanks,
    Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zetti View Post
    I was in Vancouver last month and the retailer had ran out of Blu-ray burners that costs around $300 or so, now I`ve moved to Montreal and wanna buy one here. The retailer told me that he sells these so much that he had ran out.

PC = personal computer

Thanks,
    Zetti
    You confused those who saw this thread by referring to what you want as a "PC-based Blu-Ray recorder". I initially also thought you were looking for that über-expensive stand-alone blu-ray recorder which just isn't a common thing anywhere yet. What you want can be referred to successfully as "blu-ray drive" (generic term which doesn't specify if it records) or "blu-ray rewriter" (reads, erases, and writes appropriate BD, DVD, and CD media) or "BD-ROM drive" (reads BDs, DVDs, and CDs).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Blu-ray writer= an internal drive for PC.
    External Blu-ray writer= an internal drive encased in an enclosure that connects via USB,eSATA or Firewire.
    Blu-ray recorder= a standalone device that records from HD sources.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must have missed the internal PC part. What do you want this to do?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Zetti,

If you're looking for a Blu-ray burner, the Pioneer BDR-205 is the very best one out there, $189:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051

Not sure if Newegg ships to Montreal but this drive can also be obtained through Pioneer directly.

I have it and it's been flawless for everything, ripping/burning Blu-ray, DVD and CD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post
    Zetti,

If you're looking for a Blu-ray burner, the Pioneer BDR-205 is the very best one out there, $189:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051

Not sure if Newegg ships to Montreal but this drive can also be obtained through Pioneer directly.

I have it and it's been flawless for everything, ripping/burning Blu-ray, DVD and CD.
    Thanks bbanderic and all that replied, I`ll take a look,

Cheers,
    Zetti
    Quote Quote