VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My code:
    Code:
    MPEG2Source("%source_file%")
    TDeint(mode=1, mtnmode=3, blim=100)
    LoadPlugin("J:\StaxRip-x64-2.0.0.0\Apps\Plugins\AVS\GRunT\GRunT.dll")
    Import("J:\StaxRip-x64-2.0.0.0\Apps\Srestore.avsi")
    Srestore(frate=23.976)
    KNLMeansCL(D = 1, A = 1, h = 4, device_type="auto")
    DeHalo_alpha_mt(rx=2.0, ry=2.0, darkstr=1.0, brightstr=1.0, lowsens=50, highsens=50, ss=1.5)
    I use TDeint to deinterlace and SRestore to bring the framerate back to 23.976 instead of 59.940. However there is a weird line effect that isn't preset in the source but in the encode. I would say this is because the source is a mix of hard and soft telecine and this part is only soft-telecined, and TDeint is trying to deinterlace a progressive source.

VOB:

Deinterlaced and IVTC'd video:
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deinterlacers sometimes misidentify closely spaced horizontal lines as interlacing and kick in a deinterlacer. That's probably what you are seeing. Upload a short sample if you want it examined more closely.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    I use TDeint to deinterlace and SRestore to bring the framerate back to 23.976
    If, as you say, it's a mix of hard and soft telecine, why are you bobbing it followed by using SRestore on it? If you insist on doing it that way, use a better bobber, one such as QTGMC. Or just perform a normal IVTC.

TDeint is trying to deinterlace a progressive source.
    It's doing what you told it to do - double-rate deinterlace everything. And while it's not so bad as a bobber, it has a tendency to leave aliasing behind.

Where's the IVTC? Not in the script you provided. And if there was an IVTC, you might want to have TFM use a better deinterlacer - QTGMC again - or loosen the CThresh settings, or even do away with the post-processing entirely. That can be risky, though.

As jagabo suggests, a short sample will tell the tale.
    Last edited by manono; 13th Jan 2019 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  4. For double frame rate field matching (much faster than QTGMC) try:

Code:
    Interleave(TFM(field=1), TFM(field=0))
    If that gives you the wrong field order swap the field values.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    If, as you say, it's a mix of hard and soft telecine, why are you bobbing it followed by using SRestore on it? If you insist on doing it that way, use a better bobber, one such as QTGMC. Or just perform a normal IVTC.

It's doing what you told it to do - double-rate deinterlace everything. And while it's not so bad as a bobber, it has a tendency to leave aliasing behind.

Where's the IVTC? Not in the script you provided. And if there was an IVTC, you might want to have TFM use a better deinterlacer - QTGMC again - or loosen the CThresh settings, or even do away with the post-processing entirely. That can be risky, though.

Doesn't an IVTC filter work by deinterlacing and then removing the duped frames? When I used TFM/TDecimate I got a lot of chroma ghosting. I was told to use SRestore

[Attachment 47826 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Vitality View Post

Doesn't an IVTC filter work by deinterlacing and then removing the duped frames? When I used TFM/TDecimate I got a lot of chroma ghosting. I was told to use SRestore. And I was also told to bob it.

VTS_03_1.demuxed.m2v

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    For double frame rate field matching (much faster than QTGMC) try:

Code:
    Interleave(TFM(field=1), TFM(field=0))
    If that gives you the wrong field order swap the field values.
    That gave me some leftover interlacing and the same ghosting issues, but a little bit tamer.

Zoom in, it's very faint:

Isn't this interlaced YV12 being treated as progressive YV12 or vise versa? The source VOB claims to be Progressive scan in MediaInfo, but it has the 2:3 Pulldown flags. It's mix of hard and soft telecine. This scene at the toy factory seems to be hard telecined.
    Last edited by Vitality; 14th Jan 2019 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    Doesn't an IVTC filter work by deinterlacing and then removing the duped frames?
    No, an IVTC field matches followed by removing the dupe frames. Field matching (putting the right fields together) is very different from deinterlacing.

If the IVTC doesn't work well - and sometimes it doesn't - then the bob/decimate solution might sometimes work better. But you're using the wrong bobber (TDeint(Mode=1)) if the resulting aliasing bothers you. My suggestion was to try QTGMC as the bobber. It wasn't really designed to work with animations with repeated frames, but you'll never know until you try. jagabo proposed a different solution which, apparently, improves the result. The resulting minor interlacing can be removed by adding Vinverse afterwards or, perhaps, by lowering the CThresh.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Manono, as usual, is correct:

IVTC <> Deinterlacing
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Manono, as usual, is correct:

IVTC <> Deinterlacing
    OK so it seems the actual ghosting is part of the actual stream. I watched the VOB with a deinterlace filter (MPC-HC, hardware deinterlace), but when you watch it raw it just looks like interlacing lines.

Is there anywhere to remove the chroma bleed? And if the deinterlace filter is causing the chrome bleed, could I hook up my DVD player over composite/S-Video into my Digital8 camcorder and stream the "raw" NTSC signal to my PC over DV-AVI?
    Last edited by Vitality; 14th Jan 2019 at 15:36.
    Quote Quote  
  10. All of this was covered in your previous thread.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391643-Help-with-telecined-cartoon-that-has-combin...ues-on-encodes

The chroma of your video is screwed up in the source. The luma is screwed up in places too. Problems like this are quite common with cartoons because shots are often crudely time adjusted after being telecined.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    All of this was covered in your previous thread.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391643-Help-with-telecined-cartoon-that-has-combin...ues-on-encodes

The chroma of your video is screwed up in the source. The luma is screwed up in places too. Problems like this are quite common with cartoons because shots are often crudely time adjusted after being telecined.
    Is there any sort of post-processing or filter I can do after QTGMC().SRestore()? IIRC I saw a thread here with a different cartoon which had the same sort of issue, and suprisiy that cartoon was the same exact thing, a mix of soft and hard telecine.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can always go through and replace bad frames with the frame before, the frame after, or a motion interpolated frame.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can always go through and replace bad frames with the frame before, the frame after, or a motion interpolated frame.
    So I decided to give Handbrake a shot, and I used Handbrake's Decomb/Bob filter and the Detelecine one. Look at this:

The chroma bleed is almost completely gone. Now, how do i use these filters on AviSynth? HB is open source so it should be easy, right? Or are the Decomb/Detelecine filters already on AviSnyth?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Handbrake has some good routines built into it. It's not a slouch. But anything they have is going to be outclassed by what's available for AVISynth. I just think you're not applying the filters in the correct way. TFM will do exactly what Deinterlace-Decomb does(deinterlace only the combed areas), but do it better and in higher quality. Use something like this:

MPEG2SOURCE(...)
    i=last
    edeint=i.nnedi3(-2)
    TFM(pp=7,mode=3,clip2=i.deint(mode=2,edeint=edeint )) #Also try pp=6. Add the "mi" parameter and continue to decrease if you still see residual interlacing
    Tdecimate(mode=1)
    Quote Quote