VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone,
    I've recently downloaded a music video from YouTube but it's affected by very big compression artifacts (such as blocks).
    So far I've tried a couple of solutions but none of them seemed to work fine; can anybody help me please?

To reach my goal I'm not interested in losing a little detail on the footage, but I'd like to get rid of almost every block artifact.
    Thanks a lot. (Sample attached: check for example the close-up shot at 6 seconds mark).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't be done,that's from too low of a bitrate setting.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can definitely clean it up a bit but it may be difficult with the contrast.
    I was able to get decent results with just TemporalDegrain2 in Avisynth. On your source I had used
    Code:
    TemporalDegrain2(degrainTR=1,postFFT=3,extraSharp=true)
    If you are the uploader of the video or know the uploader, you could potentially download the source file before YT compression by using Google Takeout, if that's still possible. The files generated with Takeout are different from the ones you can download through YT's Video Manager. Most of the time, depending on upload date, they will be the original source file that was uploaded, untouched.

Here's a before and after of TD2 that I had used. I don't know too much about the sharpening filters but using one could enhance the edges and make it better than the source.

Quote Quote  
  4. What music video is it ?

Did you look for a higher quality version ? e.g. sometimes the YT VP9 version has higher quality, but sometimes only in some sections

Or vevo ? They usually have higher bitrates but with duplicates that you can decimate
    Quote Quote  
  5. You might also want to adjust the levels.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What music video is it ?

Did you look for a higher quality version ? e.g. sometimes the YT VP9 version has higher quality, but sometimes only in some sections

Or vevo ? They usually have higher bitrates but with duplicates that you can decimate
    Unfortunately this is the only source I found. It's taken from the band's official channel.
    Anyway, thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
    Quote Quote