VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used VLC to try and play an mp4 file and to repair the file, but it will not play. Any suggestions for a free file that I can download to repair the file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some freeware repair programs here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/video-repair-fix

Most try to repair the index on a unplayable file. Sometimes works, depending on the file format and the damage.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Repair? as in repair what? is the video corrupted? is the audio broken?
    Do you hear audio and see no video?
    Is it opening in the media player then doing nothing at all or saying the file cannot be played?

what exactly are you wanting to fix and what happens when you try to play the file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Upload the file so that others can try to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A bit late of a reply, but still might be of use for any future happenings. The best recovery service I can think of is restore.media, its older (but still very good) version is free and you can find it here at videohelp forum, it's called recover_mp4 by slydiman. I'd try with the latter and turn to the first if the old version somehow doesn't cope (but I guess it should).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hey divo2000! Thanks for posting the info about the free utility. I used it to fix my video! Since its a command line utility it took me some time to get through it, but I just followed the instructions and got it done!

Much appreciated!

I think anybody that corrupted MP4 files should give this util a try. Just look at the included instructions, especially the example at the bottom.
    Quote Quote