VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Aren't you just able to say "Computer, enhance" and a little square pops up and makes the numbers clear as day? That's how they do it in the movies.

From what I see, the more you try to sharpen, the more abstract the image becomes. I think the best machine for this job is the brain working with the motion video. I would have as many people look at it as possible and take the modal result.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    I think the best machine for this job is the brain working with the motion video.
    That's the way I approached it earlier with my partially motion stabilized version. I would scroll back and forth and watch the numbers. Letting my eyeballs do the averaging.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does this help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Using Microsoft Paint.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	6584
    Quote Quote  
  4. Got too much free time budweiser, nice attempt to fool us though
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Got too much free time budweiser, nice attempt to fool us though
    I know I got a bunch of 'em, hehehe.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have the same issue with my license plate videos. I tried various tools discussed in this thread. Not much luck. Also tried stacking multiple frames of cropped license plate in photoshop and using Mean, Variance etc, but did not get much improvement either. Please see attachments for the original videos of thiefs on 2 separate occasions. Many thanks for any information.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Licenseplate.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	22053  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The rightmost characters look like "44" or "A4".

Name:	plate.png
Views:	782
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	22764
    Quote Quote  
  8. Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.png
Views:	270
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	37713

Can someone help me with this guys plates?
    i have tried everything. its almost clear to see but its not... please help =/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Not without a sample of the original video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I uploaded it to YouTube. I tried posting origional video but it's wrong format. Suggestions? Or is youtube ok?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Youtube reencodes the video losing even more detail. You can upload up to 500 MB directly to this site, and delete it later if necessary. Or you can extract a short segment. What tool you use will depend on what container and codecs the source is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. ok so heres the video. The scenario is he ran a stop sign and scratched the front of my car and was talking sh*t trying to fight me with my pregnant wife in the car.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37718&stc=1&d=1468033795
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. I couldn't really get anything more readable. I tried averaging frames together, contrast enhancements, different scaling and sharpening algorithms, and combinations of all of them.

The video looks like it's been deinterlaced, losing half the vertical resolution. Is that really the source?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yea that's straight off the SD card.. it's supposed to be a 720p dash cam. Well thanks for trying. I have no idea where to begin on finding the plate info.
    Quote Quote  
  15. it looks like its 1320174 but its not. thats as close as i can get. did you get any numbers or letters? i cant even tell what kind of truck that is.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Maybe 1325174.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Alex13254 View Post
    i cant even tell what kind of truck that is.
    It's a white dodge pickup (ram ?) model maybe ~ 1990's +/- a few years.

Dodge is written in the front grille in your video, when he's making the left turn at the stop sign

Similar to this model, but the yellow lights are different
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3MqgvnxvNI

Search google images for specific model years
    Quote Quote  
  18. When I typed in 1325174 it came up as a Ford f350. I also think it's a dodge because of the grill and the writing in the front
    Quote Quote  
  19. Is the timestamp correct in your video, or were you just lazy and forget to set it?

If it's not correct and the video was actually more recent - that has legal implications on your situation even if you could identify the plate clearly
    Quote Quote  
  20. It actually happened yesterday. The time resets every time I get in my car
    Quote Quote  
  21. I don't want to go to the police yet because I don't want them to say like that have before "there's nothing we can do." So I'm trying to get as much info as I can.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Can someone help me too, hit and run, this is the video from my camera but i can't see the license plate! I also attached the video

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 3.56.12 PM.png
Views:	166
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	42775
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry to say this, but based on past experience with similar posts here, the picture and video you provided are not remotely close to having enough detail available to recover any useful information from the license plate.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alex13254 View Post
    [Attachment 42798 - Click to enlarge]

Can someone help me with this guys plates?
    i have tried everything. its almost clear to see but its not... please help =/
    My best results using super-resolution stacking. Looks more like 1A251T6
    Last edited by Oto; 29th Oct 2018 at 01:03.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi, I see some of you tried to help in cases similar to mine... Someone scratched my car and I found a video from a nearby building but don't know who it is. If anyone could clear it even a little bit it would be great (I found a same car in the same street and have his license plate but I would need the plate from the video to match him). I tried some programs but as I haven't done any video edditing ever I couldn't even load it up. My car is the black one and the one that hit me is goldish. Thanks in advance
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. You can zoom in using VLC. There is nothing there to enhance, as you can see.

Impossible.

Quote Quote  
  27. He gets a little closer after that (to the camera) but I guessed there won't be anything anyone can do, thanks anyway
    Quote Quote  
  28. It is too far away, and the plate is completely overexposed. Either one would kill any chances to retrieve something (especially the over-exposure, which can never, ever be corrected), but together they make it a complete impossibility.

Everyone is buying Nest, Ring, & Arlo security cameras, all of which are nifty technology, but as this (and dozens of other videos) show, 99% of what they record is actually quite useless when it comes to catching the perp.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Thanks for taking a look, cheers
    Quote Quote