VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I'm sure a lot of other people do too...

I've read, read, and re-read every page, post on TSCV, and I know nothing more than I did when I started this. Read www.vcdhelp.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=56659&forum=1 for one such problem that no one knows the answer to, or can explain, as of the date of this post.

I'm sorry, I don't know what the difference is between "Segment" and "Sequence" items. I don't know why TSCV merges 3 MPEGS together when I want them to be separate tracks. I don't know why it won't let you add MPEGS, without a "MENU" mpeg. I don't know what "MENU" mpeg means!

I don't know why "Create Bin/Cue" button refuses to work. I don't understand why the movie doesn't pop up in the preview window. Or, why I can't add chapter points. Or get the program to even make a faulty "bin" file, unless I save the XML, re-load the XML again, then click "Do It" next to vcdxbuild.

THE POINT IS, SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE AN EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND WALKTHROUGH TUTORIAL FOR TSCV PLEASE!

You will certainly have my thanks, and hopefully fewer "I dunno what to do here" questions posted.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. First, did you read the guides at http://www.ttool.org? If not then please do so.

A segment is a part of a film/clip while sequence refers the order that segments/film/clips appear.

If you load multiple MPEGs in TSVC at once it assumes you want to make one big MPEG with no pauses between them. By seperate tracks you mean you want to be able to hit the next button and jump to the 2nd MPEG? Then either create chapters (aka entrypoints) there OR just burn them as 2 seperate tracks.

You should be able to add MPEGs without a 'menu mpg' the menu mpg is the file that is used to generate your menu (ie. the background).

In order to add chapters you have to load an MPEG file, make sure it's slighted (ie. highlighted) and have named an output file (eg. xxxx.bin) or TSVC won't do anything.

It sounds like you need to read the TSVC guides at http://www.ttool.org they 'should' help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read them (and again just now), and I'm still at a loss. Call my stupid if you want to, but NONE of this makes any sense to me at all.

For instance, I want a
    "normal" VCD, where I load up 3 MPEGS into TSCV, and I want them to play all the way through, or I can use Next/Prev and go between them.

I don't know whether I should be using The sequence selections on "Menu", or the "Chapters" area.

Nowhere does ttool.org explain what "Chapter timeout" means. Does this mean how long it's allowed to play? or will it always play until the end of the disc?

It's the "little but important" things in there I don't understand. LIKE:

"Chapter Loop Standart" ???
    "On Chapter Timeout...." ???
    Everything under "MENU" ??? (What to select for NExt, Previous, and Timeout)???

Or else I must be the only one who doesn't understand the terminology...

Quote Quote  
  4. Nope ! You're not the only 'dummy' here. Count me in, too.
    I need that 'TSCV for dummies' as much as you do !
    I wanna bust Blockbuster
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    ummmmm same here....i can't make it do anything.....and i have read all of the guides over and over......i know it works for some people.....grrrr
    Quote Quote  
  6. One thing i would like to say is that you should post your messages in ttools forum because the author of this program is great at answering your questions. He responds to question very quickly and works with you.

When you unzip tscv most of the right settings are already set for you. You basically have to tell it whether you want a ntsc or pal. On most of the selections let your mouse hang on it and a window will pop up telling you what that selection does.

If you want just a basic no menu vcd just add your mpeg and then create the bin/cue file.

Like i said before, i would post your questions on ttool forum and i am sure you will get squared away or email me and i could somehow walk you through it. Ttool has helped me tremendously with quite a few problems i had and it sounds like you guys are having some of the problems i had.

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with the suggestion I should go to their forum... however I don't agree that you can just make a "plain" SVCD or VCD by leaving their default settings alone. This is what got me 3 separate MPEGs merged into one movie!

There must be a way to make programs like this simple enough that even the most average of people can figure out most of it, while still having enough options for the tekkies. And in ENGLISH.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: homerpez on 2001-08-29 14:20:00 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Actually there is a translation link on TTools page....and I actually figured it out...finally....

But basicly the guide is flat out wrong.....if u add the stream via the menu tab.....it works.....don't ask me why but it does....u click on the cd and it comes up with a menu....add mpeg or add still (I think i do not have it on this puter to look but it worked this morning before i went to work)...u add your MPeg via this and.....THEN u can double click it and THEN the chapter tab pops up and THEN u CAN add chapters and do shit.

Hope this helps sorry its jumbly but my vid machine is at home
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nsdn, good to hear you figured it out. I HAVEN'T!

I think TSCV is such a gem of a program (so I hear), that it should be made more... uh... "ergonomic"?

I think it could definitely use a refinement on the descriptions, too.. or at least a good "help" file. They're too heavy into the direct terminology, instead of using "plain" language, and then having the terminology available afterwards if you want clarification...

Until it's as simple (or is as helpful as) TMPGEnc, I may not be using it... I think that's a good example of how details and ease-of-use can work together...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    hmmm well actually I hav't...growls.....i made and burnt the bin and cue files successfully...but there were no friggin chapters.....which of course is the whole point....so then i went back to the forum and found out that u actually have to hit "enter" after u put in your numbers for chapters....and wullu the chapters came up...mind u if u use .....chapter every 300 seconds...u get about 832764872368472683237283273 chapters.....so i ended up adding them manually......

NOW however when i hit the go button.....it starts the creation process...and it sits there for 5-10 minuts.....then it says its done...but there is no friggin bin or cue file????...i tryed adding a menu mpg.....just in case it wanted a menu ...but that made no differance.....it looks like a good proggy if it worked....

prolly should call it a alpha version....not a beta...still seems to have too many bugs for dummys like me

might go back to I-Author and see if i can get that going.....read some other posts about why i get the security problem when i start it....but now i have an idea how to fix it...hehe
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe in another few months, TSCV (and programs like it) will have more acceptable "default" settings, plus an easier-to-understand WYSIWYG sort of interface...

Or maybe just in my dream world...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I agree folks,
    I've been trying this program for a few dasys now, and all i can seem to get it to do is create SVCDs with simple chapters. I've been trying the menu stuff, following the tutorials and it doesnt seem to work right. I've gotten all the most updated support programs, still no luck.
    Even with the chapters, lets say i create 10 chapters on the Disc, it will skip through them fine up intil maybe the 6th, then hitting skip forward will make it jump back to the beginning. Also, i would really like to get the preview with media player function working, but it complains of not knowing which device to use, or something...wierd.
    So, i can get it to create working (sort of) .bin/.cues with chapters, but not the navigational menus i was hoping for. This program seems to have potential, but i'll give it a little longer until i decide to try something else.
    Oh, another thing, there's supposed to be a "chapter-menu generator" where you just click on the Mpeg in the menu list, then go to the "stills" tab, the button is supposed to be enabled, and the ttools site actually SHOWS it, but it hasnt been enabled for me yet.
    I did manage to get the import from Chapter X-tractor import chapters feature working though, thats a plus.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Right now, to me, it's very difficult for menus - but if you just want chapters, it's pretty easy - I actually would like to use it for simple menus because Nero's SVCD menus don't work on my Pioneer 333 (although they work fine on an Apex AD-3201).

nsdn - newer versions of TSCV automatically determine the length of the MPeg and stop after the correct numbers of chapters - I also do every 300 seconds, mostly so I can skip forward through a movie faster than the Pioneer's fast-forward (which is fairly pathetic, if you ask me).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi There, as being a dummy when it especialy comes to Chapters, you might find it amusing i'll be writing a Dummies Guide on how to create menus with TSCV, the good news is, i'm getting the best person on the job to tell me how to do it
    Yup, i'm working with the Authors of TSCV on fixing bugs (i'm a beta tester, yay!) and creating a guide for Beginners (i'll be doing that, it will be added to the v1.3 guide as another section) and of course the Advanced Guide which will be written by TTool and HVR

for the good part, i've made my FIRST ever VCD with Chapters, I took Dinosaur for that specific example cause it's 80min and I can use a CDRW for the testing, for my big example which will be used in the guide will of course be "Superman - The Movie - Special Edition" see ya there!
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Ummmm well i did actually finally get it to work

Believe it or not....all I did was copy the whole folder containing VCDimager and TSCV on to my desktop and ran it from there and it worked!!!

I read this in the TTool forum somewhere that for some reason it made a differance ...and it did for me...

The only weird thing it still does is that I tell it to make a chapter every 300 seconds...MANUALLY up until I calculate just before the end of the movie....and when it creats the bin and cue file.....CDRWIN does not like it ....I looked at the cue file in a text editor and the times for the chapter were out of range on the last few chapters....so I cut a few off and recreated the BIN and CUEs then cdrwin liked it...and burnt it....and I now have chapters.......seems that TSCV does not make the chapters acurately @ evey 300 seconds...but....i am not really looking at marking specific points.....just a way of FFWing quickly...rather than scannning through the whole disk

Have not got the preview thing working yet....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Have you tried my video tutorial yet?

I start with the very basics in tut1
    Then I move on to creating text on moving backgrounds in tut2

Tut3 will have a creating the menu, and then inseting it above the mpg to serve as the menu.

I will most likly do more then one menu to mix it up. Then link it all. I am also lowering the res by reencoding to cap to 512 x 384. The text is blurry, but readable, on the screen. This makes the tutorials 1/2 the size.

Let me know!!!
    Over 30 copies have been downloaded and no one has replied whether or not it has helped them or given any feedback.

login: tscv
    pass: tutorial
    port: 21

mirror site:
    http://www.edensrising.com/legman
    Quote Quote  
  17. Since legman has already created a guide (legman, contact Baldrick and see if he can post the guide here as an Advanced Guide for TSCV), does anyone want me to continue my work on the Newbie Guide for TSCV ? (it will basicly become a section in the Ultimate Newbie Guide v1.3), do let me know, so I know I'm not wasting my time for no good reason.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  18. Good HTML guides like the ones already on VCDhelp would be best..... low bandwidth, easy access, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Web-based (rather than download) would be the way to go for this... MUCH more convenient
    Quote Quote  
  20. Sefy,

You are free to host mine, ban them or do whatever you like. Except of course, not finshing your tutorial. lol There is much I do not know about this program. This tutorial was just to help out a bit. I realize you guys are beta testing and making the fixes and new code. I did this to help out, as the need was so great.

Excellent work! I thank you, ttools and the others, if any, lol, I don't really know, very much!

This is only a very basic tutorial. It is large and does not cover many basic function of the program. I have heard people request an explination of exactly what things like BNS are and how to use chapter from smartripper. What IS BNS? lol All these areas need to be filled. I did this so you would not be too rushed in getting something out. That is about it. I am looking forward reading all you write myself.

I suggest you put something in the tutorial that gets peoples minds in the right space. Many people confuse the menus and how they work with dvd menus. As we both know, the only real assocation between the actual chapter markers and the menu, is in the mind of the user who sees the text that tells him he can enter #3, next to that cool thumbnail.

If you state this, better then I did, along with all the other stuff you are planning on doing, the sky's the limit.

It's not a hard program. It's just the concept of what you are doing that newbies get bent on and so have trouble with everything. With a real tutorial, like you are making, they could eventually get around that. As it stood before, they had no concept, no real bin to downlaod as an example, and no details on exactly how everything should work.

As you also know, there will always be users that can't install a codec or get some of the basic things that we take for granted working on their systems.

I find it very hard to recommend this program to everyone. People should already have the skills to install the basic items needed in their boxes and be willing to read everyting they can find. Everything I know about this programI learned from browsing ttools site and reading his instructions and clicking every link.

When I see something that is a winner, I try to help get the ball rolling. Then I step back and let the pros take it from there. I don't write code, so it's how I try to help.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: legman on 2001-09-10 02:18:29 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  21. Wow, didn't except so many to want me to finish the guide, ok ok, you win! i'll do it
    legman, you giving me more credit then I actually deserve, like yourself, i'm not a code maker or a programmer, heck, i'm not even an HTML expert! the only thing I am is a Newbie just like many here, although I can hear some of you say "Yeah, Right, Newbie my a**!"

But I know less then most of you, that's why my guides are best for Newbies', cause I look at it this way, if I can do it! then anyone else can! good logic no ?

you keep writing your guide legman! capish ? we need an advanced guide too! mine i'm sure will cover much basic grounds then what yours does (like motion background.... blah blah..) mine only covers the basic beginers usage of TSCV, like how to use it

Now you go right ahead and email baldrick about your guide, and i'm more then positive he will be happy to post it on the Guides section!, he already looked at a preview of my "Menus and Chapters" section which will be added to my own guide and he approved it, if all goes well, I should be able to upload it to him in a day or two more, IF all goes well!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sefy, it is a lot better to have multiple guides, which together contian all the info you're looking for, then to be stuck with only one and have to ask more questions! (FOr instance, I can only find ONE guide on the whole 'net on IVTC using TMPGEnc, and it truly answers nothing!)

I'd welcome his guide, their guide, your guide, and any OTHER guide too!
    Quote Quote  
  23. I get the hint

I'll keep working on the guide, while i'm at it, any other requested programs that you want me to cover in the guide, like other burning software for example.

Just let me know
    The bugs in my updated guide are being worked out today, so hopefully you should be able to see it by the weekend.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  24. Sefy - any progress??? I see your last post is the 11th - bummer of a day.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Yet Another Dummie looking for your guide Sefy!! This program is very difficult to understand. And I know some basics of programming!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Sorry for disappering for so long, my ISP decided to play tricks on me and are trying to over charge me, and on top of that I had no Internet for a few days as well, anyway, the problem with the TSCV guide is TTool has released so many updated to the program it's hard to keep up with him, sure, some of the updates are my fault

I've got a more updated guide with the TSCV (not current release) which shows how to do chapters at the moment, the steps are basicly identical to all versions of TSCV unless that changes a well

If you want me to post a link to my web where the guide is, I dont mind, but please, it's on my home PC which serves as the WebServer, so please don't abuse it, it will be on VCDhelp as soon as i'm done with it, also, it's my first website, I have no idea what i'm doing, and it's just for fun, so laugh at me when i'm done with it

http://www.sefy.dns2go.com

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
  27. nsdn,

In order for it to make chapters every 300 sec, it has to know how long the video is. There are two ways I know of:

1: Enable media player and then click on chapters.
    2: On the chapters menu, if you look to the bottom right (under add chapter mplayer) it will have movielength and possible a blank box. If you put the movie length in there, (has to be HH:SS format) it will create all the chapters automatically up to that time.

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote