VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This topic will only be of interest to a small number of users, but I wanted to mention it. I have no commercial interest and just want to inform users who may still have Video CD's in their collection. A resale shop in the Chicago metro area has a stock of new diskman style VCD/MP3/CD players, in their original boxes, for $9.99 apiece. I had seen these players for sale on the web a few years back, back when portable DVD players still cost over $300 or so. I bought one and it wouldn't read CD-R disks, so they let me exchange it for another. The second one is a little quirky, like cheap Chinese junk often is, but it does the job. Takes a long time to read some MP3 disks.

The retail boxes contain AC adapters and AV cables which are almost worth ten bucks alone. The video output is a yellow RCA plug. And the player comes with a remote control that works. It was worth ten bucks just to play with it.

They can be found at the Goodwill store on Randall Road in Batavia, IL. They had a couple dozen left. I have no idea whether any other Goodwill stores have them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can get a $25 player from the grocery store than plays VCD, CD-R, MP3 -- DVDs too!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, I own a bunach of VCd from the pre-DVD era. Could only play them on my PC since my DVD player can't read most of the VCD-Rs. 10 bucks is a reasonable price so I think I'll check out the offer.
    My favourite music is silence
    Quote Quote  
  4. I had a VCD player that I traded for a small table fan. I think I was lucky to do that.
    Quote Quote