VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. only real reason i run xp is for that quick user switching thing.....when i have a stack of encodes running, i can let other people log on and do their thing, set my encoding priority to idle and get back on when they are done doing whatever they need to do...........actually on second thought, i dont even really use THAT anymore, since there's now 2 computers in the house and this one is basically mine and mine alone........i may actually go back to 2k whenever i decide to format next.....since i think i have a system backup of 2k in a rather solid state set up how i want it somewhere........as for vista...well, i dunno...i cant see any reason for ANYONE to upgrade from xp for a long time (i mean like till they drop support on current games if your a gamer...that type of thing) to me, it looks like it's gonna chew up a LOT more resources than it needs to...and there's NO reason that ANY operating system needs to have copy protection BUILT INTO IT...........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know a firm date for MS stopping support of XP? I know 2K's end date is right around the corner, save for corporate customers, and with XP being only 2 years newer, it's closer than we think. I'm pretty sure MS follows a 7 year cycle for support, which means late 2008 if that holds. After they stop support, what happens when you try to activate? I think that's going to force a fair amount of upgrades.

Also, anyone else get the impression that XP was a bomb with MS corporate customers? From what I've read on CNET, a lot companies are bypassing it completely in favor of stretching out 2000 until Vista or something later. My younger brother work for MBNA, it was only a little over a year ago they implemented Windows 2000 and AD (they were still running NT4).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take up on XP was slow but I think you would be surprised how many are running it these days. To those that held onto 2k, more power to them since they will likely need upgrades to run Vista well. As long as 2k fit their needs they saved money IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thevoelk
    Also, anyone else get the impression that XP was a bomb with MS corporate customers? From what I've read on CNET, a lot companies are bypassing it completely in favor of stretching out 2000 until Vista or something later. My younger brother work for MBNA, it was only a little over a year ago they implemented Windows 2000 and AD (they were still running NT4).
    There was rarely a reason for a corporation to implement a corporate wide OS switch from NT/2K to Win XP. The benefits of XP are based more on an ever evolving environment such as a home based user. There are quite alot of hybrid corporate networks. Newer machines tend to have had either WinXP or Win2K pre-loaded upon them. These would just be integrated into the network. Vista will probably be the same way for quite a few corporations. Deploying a complete OS overhaul corporate wide is just not economically feasible when their aren't significant benefits.
    Quote Quote