VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I have a M4V file that i edited through Vegas Pro 14.0 a few months ago. The file has played perfectly up until i clicked on it recently. The total size is 1m 8s but it freezes at the 0:47 mark and then blacks out at 1m until the end of the video. I've tried using Handbrake and various mp4/m4v repair programs such as Stellar Repair but to no avail.

The file was edited alongside a few others at the same time but the others seem perfectly fine which is odd. Is this a sign the file is corrupted for good or is there any method i could use to get back the deleted footage? It's a family video so it's quite precious to me.

Many Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You can try to decode it using several different decoders (e.g. use ffindex from FFMS2 to test if the indexing fails) or try to import it into multiplexers (e.g. MKVtoolnix GUI) or use ffplay or ffmpeg to view or convert it with a technically elaborate engine, to confirm your fear that there may be a file corruption.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I can try and fix the file for you (no guarantee though). Just upload it to Google Drive or other similar service and share the link with me. Also, upload one of the valid (working) files, so I can use it as a reference.
    Quote Quote