VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I have ripped Hot Choi Spirit (a Chinese movie DVD) using SmartRipper. The drawback is that this DVD is a bootleg and that the DVD was obviously made by some guy who converted the VCD files directly onto the DVD (No change in quality!). But I need to make it into VCD just so that I can watch it on an NTSC TV.

The main problem is that the only audio is just a 1ch stream (on AC3 or even 2ch). SmartRipper says in its info file:
    Stream[002] X=[[0xA0] Audio Chinese LPCM(1Ch) 48kHz 16bit ]

Here's the catch: No program I have will decode this audio!
    The video decodes fine, actually better and faster than normal since there really wasn't much work to be done in the first place in this bad bootleg. (The vob's before conversion only add up to 1.3GB).

Someone please help. I have used FlaskMPEG (with both Cinemacraft and Panasonic plugins), DVDx, DVD2AVI (I tried to strip the audio into a wav). Nothing will recognize the audio correctly!.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Linear PCM (LPCM)
    Supports sampling rates: 48K and 96 KHz
    Supports quantization levels of 16, 20 and 24 bits per sample

its a wav file but you will need to change it to 44.1khz sample rate for a vcd and then encode it to mpeg audio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Thanks for the tip, but maybe I'm converting it wrong or something. It still doesn't work.
    I used Cooledit 2000 to downsample the LPCM wav file I demuxed using SmartRipper to 44.1khz, but it still sounds the same. It is a wav file that is about 1/2 the length of the video file and sounds as if it was really fast (like how tapes sound in fast forward).
    Please advise.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hmmmm = weird ... anyway just time stretch it out to the lenth of the video and see if it sounds ok ...

why it de-muxed liek that i have no idea unless the ripper doesnt handle mono sources well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Guest
    I will try to stretch it out, but then you run into potential sync problems. I will try that and tell you how it is. Do you have any recommendations for programs that could do that for me? Cooledit just takes too long.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    quality takes time .. soundforge or wavelab work well also ..

but remember this ... set the frame rate up in your audio editor correctly .. when you load your wav file - the editor will load it at 30fps normaly ,,, you will then have to change it to video 29.97DF so that the time matchs up correctly when you decide how much to stretch

soundforge 5 has a bug in it that the timeline shows correct but when using the time stretch tool it defaults back to 30fps ...

my way is to do everything in frames --- see how many frames of video you have and set time line to frames also .. so say if your video is 19,000 frames and your source audio shows on the time line as 12,000 ---- stretch it out to 19,000 ... but that sort of stretch and what you have also is really a big stretch and i am sure the sound will be a bit "odd" ... you can also use just sec's from 00000 for both - but you dont have a way to really measure the video lenth in sec without putting it in a editor or calculating it from the number of frames ...

it would be nice to rip it correct in the first place ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Guest
    Yeah, I would be so much easier if it ripped or demuxed correctly in the first place.
    I will try to use DVD Decryptor, and I will let you know the result. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote