VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Well, I just use 12a to make all my SVCD's. I've used regualr 12 too, but i'm not sure I can claim one being better then the other. I just figure 12a is better then 12, cuz it's newer and likey fixed a bug or two.

Kreg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Uhh....

What about 12h?

AP Enterprises Ltd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried 12h and the MPG2 is visibly improved. As to whether it's better than the early versions (12, 12a), I haven't made that comparison yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did a few tests the other day, so I might as well post my findings...

Using a random movie trailer about 1:30 long, 2pass VBR (AVG 2000), SVCD specs, blah, blah, blah. Done on a Duron 800, 256MB RAM, etc..

TMPG Version Encode time File size
    ----------------------------------------------
    12BETA 14:16 14.4MB
    12A 15:45 17.7MB
    12E 12:30 17.2MB
    12H 12:16 17.2MB

Using 12h as the 'standard' since its the latest release, 12BETA is 17% slower, which adds about 10 minutes to every hour of encoding - but the file sizes are 16% smaller, giving you roughly 125MB more per 80 min CD-R - not too shabby. And although it wasn't a huge difference, to my eyes 12BETA gave superior quality. 12A, 12E, and 12H were roughly the same - similar in quality and file size, although E and H are obviously faster - 12A was almost 30% slower than 12H for whatever reason. I don't imagine these results hold true for every encode, but they give a rough idea.

Now I need to go and get myself a life... lol...

JJ
    Quote Quote