VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, not sure how to phrase my question but here's what I want to do. I want to edit the scene of Home Alone where Macaulay Culkin says "Mom!" after thinking she was home. I want to edit Macaulay Culkin's voice to say my friend's name instead.

For reference, I am not a pro. I do stupid videos to make my friends laugh. I use filmora for editing on a mac.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's likely possible through AI (think of deepfakes for voice). Adobe had a demo a year ago where they edited what was being said.
    I don't know if any ready to use tools are available though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Adobe's is still not out on the market. It was/is the closest to what you are looking for.

Morphing an edit of an existing voice clip is one thing, recreating or synthesizing a voice is a whole other level, and we haven't gotten close to that yet.

@OP - This might be done by judicious phoneme editing from previous instances of recordings. Depends on how easy it is to get clean takes of the proper phonemes with the proper intonation. It can be done (I've done this a few times), but it take LOTS of work (like day, weeks). There is no automated way yet - it must be done manually, and requires a bit of research.
    Best fallback to that is micro-editing using something like the VocAlign plugin for ProTools. Much of it IS automated. But it is expensive, on top of ProTools - lite version is $99, pro version is $249, IIRC. You're lucky - when I used to need to do this on a regular basis for commercial Post Production, it cost $1699!

@Bauernbrot, smells like spam. I see no feature like what the OP is asking for. Closest thing is a couple of costly synthesizing plugins to a costly (non-free) pro version of the app.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by AudioQue View Post
    Hi there, not sure how to phrase my question but here's what I want to do. I want to edit the scene of Home Alone where Macaulay Culkin says "Mom!" after thinking she was home. I want to edit Macaulay Culkin's voice to say my friend's name instead.

For reference, I am not a pro. I do stupid videos to make my friends laugh. I use filmora for editing on a mac.

Thanks for your help!
    Why not just do your best Macaulay Culkin imitation, or find some kid with a close enough voice and edit it in?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Cut that Gordian Knot, smrpix!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Or call Macaulay Culkin himself, perhaps he'd be happy to make a vocal cameo for a few bucks these days...
    Former child-stars have it quite hard at Hollywood.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Or call Macaulay Culkin himself...
    I like this way of thinking

I don't remember that specific scene of the movie, but if you can clearly see Mr. Culkin's articulating, there's maybe other waters to bridge too.

Should OP's friend's name be Theodore, or Harvey, or Bartholomew, or... well, not "Mom".
    Quote Quote  
  8. I like this way of thinking
    I don't remember that specific scene of the movie, but if you can clearly see Mr. Culkin's articulating, there's maybe other waters to bridge too.
    Should OP's friend's name be Theodore, or Harvey, or Bartholomew, or... well, not "Mom".
    Well, I managed to make Emmanuel Macron say “Coucou tu veux voir ma bite ?” {*} by editing a single 20 minutes speech (it's certainly not at the “deep fake” level but still damn funny), so this should be manageable if the goal is not to obtain a perfectly realistic result.

Oh, by the way, I saw this the other day (from Imgur) :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SKRFt9g.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	56430

{*} A french meme that originated out of a TV report (broadcast some time during the mid to late 2000s) about the dangers of Internet chatrooms for clueless youngsters, where a female activist explained that she passed for a 13 years old girl with the nickname “lolita13ans” and got the line in question from an unidentified horny dude, an “absoludicrous” line (as Mr. T would have put it) which is then read on voiceover with a hilariously serious tone of voice. I'm ashamed to admit, when I discovered the vocal reading feature on Google Translate, that's the first thing I figured I could do with it.

“But these are the kind of things I think about when I'm sitting home alone {**} during an electrical storm, waiting for the parole officer to give me a call. And these ideas, these ideas come floating into my head. Just floating right in, unbidden. I'm not asking for these things. I'm a vessel. I'm a mere vessel. In come these thoughts. And some of them are a little offbeat, I'm gonna grant you that.”
    George Carlin, Life is worth losing

{**} How unintentionally a propos is that !
    Quote Quote