1. End of october THIS YEAR this new program comes out
    has anyone heard of this....no reviews yet.....i hope
    this begins a good thread...

http://www.xp-erience.org/comments.php?id=760

http://www.dvdxcopy.com/index.htm

2. Wow
    Has anyone tried this?
    Seems you can order it.
    If someone has purshased it what dvd format is it using ie. DVD-R, DVD+R?
    $99. it would be worth it..

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) you cannot make bit-for-bit copies... it's physically impossible without css and dual layerd recordables.

2) Everything to do what they are claiming is freeware or shareware.

3) They have been dragged through the coald on numberous occasions already for ripping off the community

4) If they think they can get that site under M$'s trademark laywers they have a big suprise in for them.

5) Vaporware?

So unless I can actually see a product that is not just a repackaging of existing software I'm going to say they are full of IT.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't like blatent self promotion...

Normano: registed today and are advocation these people alreay... $99 would be better investen into donations for VCDeasy to get DVD support.

5. come on, dont complain until u try it,
    says a 30 day trial available then...

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Musher, are you a spammer? Judging by your title, it seems obvious that you are (unless this was a joke).

The product is either a scam or a media stunt (likely both):

If you look at the article, the software uses decss. DeCSS no longer works on some newer DVDs.

Every backup copy you make with DVDXCOPY is EXACTLY like the original. Nothing is compressed or left off the disc.
    Since many newer DVDs are WAY over 4.3GB and no DVD-R is large enough (see snowmoon's point 1), we can see that this company is lying on their web site. It's one thing for a marketing department bending the truth, but this is a fundamental lie. Anyone who believes anything else they say after this is a fool. Well, one caveat... many very old DVDs aren't ruled out... but if you can't backup any DVD you bought in the last two years then what good is the software?

Conclusion: given the above, the software isn't doing anything new whatsoever. It's essentially decrypting the files on the disc and copying to the HD, then reburning to a new disc. That's the extent of the work currently required to copy older discs (with freeware), and that's ALL this software could handle.

Don't be a fool, stay in school!

7. Man you are hard on people dude,chill out

spammer, no i dont think so

just getting killed on wasting discs is all

8. DO NOT purchase "321" products,they are theiving weasels who repackage
    freeware software for a profit.
    As Thorn mentioned about decss this "pig in a silk dress" package is about
    as usefull as "tits on a boar".
    hmmm......I have a hankerin' for a B.B.Q. pork sandwich :P

9. snowmoon
    I just said that if it did what it claimed to do a Bit by Bit copy, It be worth the purshase price on thier website. I am not promoting this product because I have not used it. This is why I was asking to see if anyone has.

Search Comp PM
    Looking at musher's previous posts I don't think he is a spammer, just someone who was being optimistic.

The fact is that this company is a well known scam artist. There are several others out there like it, and for all we know they all might be run by the same person. All these programs are is a collection of freeware tools and some guides on how to use them, and they even steal the guides from sites like this too! These companys make outrageous claims like that a dvd can be copied onto a cd without losing any quality, and then they just pray that the people who buy "their" software can't tell the difference between VCD quality and DVD quality.

I can absolutely guarantee that anything this company sells is a blatant scam and a waste of money. If you see trial versions of this software hosted on any large sites such as Tucows then e-mail them and complain, get these guys blacklisted.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I may have been abrupt with the spammer comment... but that title did look similar to the spam I see in newsgroups (caps and everything).

FYI a valid one-step program might appear, but NEVER trust a company that uses ablsolutes and promises things that seemed impossible until now. If they truly accomplished the impossible there would be significant buzz about it and THEN you should get excited.

Really, though, I get agitated when people get swept up by the media hype for these kind of products when we know they're scams. I've even been asked by co-workers if this kind of product is worth buying (some are PhDs!!!).

Unfortunately truth in advertising doesn't seem to apply to these companies sometimes... And corporate America isn't interested in providing any facts to educate the buying public, so without VCDhelp (and similar sites) where would we go for honest and accurate information about technology? Most people don't know...

12. If you look at their screen shoots you see that the program
    says it needs 2 DVDR.

So they do nothing but split up a DVD-9 to two DVD-5.

You only need IFOEDIT to do that and these guys charge $100?

Someone needs to tell some higher auhority about these jerks.

Search Comp PM
    They are already being sued by the MPAA. I'm sure they would also be sued by the true author's of the software that they steal if only they had enough money to sustain a lawsuit. But they don't because they give their software away for free instead of charging an arm and a leg for it. How's that for Karma?

14. And once again the circle has been made round again.
    Why does everybody only see the bad things about these companies?
    Like the saying goes, " there's one born every minute" and if these idiots want to sell it and there are even bigger blunderheads who buy it, who cares ?
    The people who buy such software are just the people who want to burn one or two DVD's and they don't want to look for freeware and difficult stuff.
    If I could sell software which was legally available on the net and just make a nice site and a manual to accompany it, I'd do it too.
    What do you all think of the companies who sell CD's of Linux at computer shows ?
    No THAT you do not consider to be frauds but people who sell freeware you do.
    I must admit I am not such a capitalist but I do not understand why so many people mind it if somebody else makes a profit.
    The only thing they should have changed on their site, (legally at least) they should have mentioned repackaging and not say it was their own product.

And now I'm off to give a lecture, on the notion of privacy and the consequences for the intergovernmental organisations, to second year students.

Omnis Facinos Habere Trigarium Effectus Origins

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To respond in a thoughful manner to the previous post I first hve to point out that selling Linux CD's at trade shows does not fall into the same boat. First those linex CD's do offer a bonified service of having all of the data in buld availible and not having to download it. This is diffrent from most of these other companies since the SIZE of a DVD2SVCD or IFOedit is small enough for anyone with a 28.8 modem to download in a reasonable ammount of time. The other major diffrence is that those people selling linux CD's don't attempt to pass off the entire work as their own. Would as many people go to fly-by-night operations similar to "321" if they knew the information was readly avalible on the internet? Some would, most would probably not. Also if they were just up-front about the source of the materals they were selling and priced their product accordingly I would have little bad to say about them. For $10 they would offer a value if they bundled all of the software out there as well as documentation and links in a readly accessable product like a CD-Rom.

Most of the comanies are making huge profits, not because they are selling something of real value, but because they are raping the works of people who have chosen to give their information to the world. They also are using shady marketing tactics such as spamming forums and newsgroups like this one.

The problem is that for every 1 legitimate company tring to make an honest buck in this market their are 10 shady operations that make the whole market look bad.

As most would agree... Let the buyer beware.

16. yes, but what I don't understand you all grip about these people making a profit and most people on this site download from P2P sites of copywrited music or movies, rip DVD's they do not own, then turn around and grip about this? I am not saying what this company does is correct I don't even know what they they do, I just read this forum and started laughing on the fact that alot are the same people who boast on how to rip, copy or have downloaded programs or movies they don't buy or never legally own, just got a giggle over it.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does all of this have to do with my dream of banging Mandy Moore?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL...

Saying that some of the people here pirate videos and music does not change the unscruplious nature of these companies.

In my cd-r collection how many non-fair use disks do I have ... Over 300 in my collection... possible infringing disks 2 ( yes I too tried DVD2SVCD once to see how it works ). Any yes I do the the uber expensive encoder and feel horrible about it too thanks.

Fair use is legal and protected by copyright legislation. This site helps promote many legal and non-infringing uses for the technology. I could do a list of all of the non-infringin uses, but it would take weeks to finish.

19. Let's just say that doing something which is (at least in your country) part of a shady part of law does not mean that you cannot have an opinion about others.

If a convicted car thief* in jail says he or she thinks child molesters should be punished far more harshely then they do now, this is not a hypocrite but just someone who excercises his rights guaranteed by Article one of the ETHR.
    Your rights given to you by the legislators are there to be used, and if someone abuses them, that is just the downside of a positive privilege.

And before you all respond (I have little time as it is) I do not imply either explicitely nor implicitely that copying an Audio- and/or Videocarrier is as bad in comparison to theft what so ever.

*=Assuming the convicted car thief did commit the acts for which he has been penalized.

Omnis Facino Habere Trigarium Effectus Originus
    (this does not mean Buyer beware, that's Caveat Emptor closely related to the imfamous Caveat Vendor.)

20. Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

Was I talking in Latin again ? I'm sorry sometimes it just slips out.
    You can eat an apple but a pear you can

Sometimes I wish I were a girly just like my dear Papa ... (c) 1987 Monty Python

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope it will do what it say. i ordered it. I dont mind 2 dvds to copy 1.
    it will be oct 28 before i can download it. Its 79 dollars if you preorder
    so i will see if it direct copys or not

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What? Did you read all the previous posts about it being repackaged software? I suppose if your time isn't worth $79 then it's worth it, but I'd still prefer that you don't patronize scammers. Scammers only exist because there are people willing to give them money.

Traveler: as snowmoon mentioned, the linux disc vendors are providing a service, not selling a product. If it saves you 2 days of modem downloading to get the current linux build on disc (and you have a backup copy rather than having to keep it on your HD) then it might well be worth $10. On the other hand, $80 isn't a reasonable fee for this service -- especially for 2MB of programs. The reason this is called a scam is because it is -- they sellers are marketing the program as their own and not disclosing that these programs are available on the net for free. Furthermore, many free software programs have in their licenses that they cannot be resold without permission from the authors (dont' know if this applies to the software on the disc). Mostly the problem is that the marketing is not just misleading -- it is lying outright.

It is technically impossible to copy a 9.2GB disc bit-for bit onto a DVD-R. It won't fit as a one disc solution, and it definitely isn't a bit-for bit solution if it's a two disc copy (unless the files are to be unreadable in your dvd player, they have to be re-IFOd).

23. Well, I'm supposed to be getting a Beta copy of DVDXCOPY to test today or tomorrow, before public release. I think the public release date of 28th October is a bit optomistic though. I'll report back as soon as I have it and have attempted a back-up copy of a DVD!
    Pioneer DVDR
    Philips DVDR890

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well it has a money back guarante so if it dosnt copy 1to2 bit for bit
    then we will know. think of me as the tester. or stuped or what ever.
    always looking for something easyer or beter

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="cdtruckn"]well it has a money back guarante so if it dosnt copy 1to2 bit for bit
    then we will know. think of me as the tester. or stuped or what ever.
    always looking for somethQ. Is your software just a bundle of freeware or shareware?

A. No! DVD X COPY is a true "One-Click" application developed by our team at 321Studios. There is no freeware or shareware programs included in DVD X COPY.
    ing easyer or beter

26. Even if this program doesn't "package" a number of freeware utilities together, I find it hard to believe that it doesn't actually draw on the source code of those programs. In doing so (and not releasing the source code), they are in violation of GPL.

In any case, this program is obviously illegal. With laws as they now stand, the deliberate circumvention of a digital copyright protection device (e.g., CSS encryption of a DVD) is illegal. There is probably a degree of tolerance for general DVD ripping as long as it is for personal use -- but these guys are trying to make money from their software. I somehow doubt very much that they have bought a CSS license for their software (as one wouldn't be granted for such an application in anycase).

Furthermore, their advertising is misleading. The vast majority of Hollywood titles will not fit onto one DVD-R disc contrary to their assertion.

So you have been warned! Caveat emptor.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence