VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my brother just bought a pioneer DVDr-108. great burner an so much cheaper and more features then the one i bought back in feburary. anyway he picked up a spindle of retek 8x -r (I believe they are the G05s but Im not sure as hes away at campus and when he comes home next week i can test them.

anyway I was helping him through remote assistance in nero to COPY a DVD I lent him (the DVD I lent him was a already a copy). anyway it seemed to be going at 12x and not 8x. I was just wondering how this was possible seeing as the media he bought was 8x?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have some TY 8X DVD+R media that burns at 16X with my NEC 3500a burner.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok.. at least im not alone.. now do u know how this is possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    some dvd burners allow "overspeeding" of media. The media may be 8x certified, but a dvd burner can ignore that information and burn at whatever speed the firmware will allow. What media will "overspeed" is programmed in the firmware of the particular dvd burner.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing strange to it. If you check the disc with DVDInfoPro you'll see that the media has 12X Write desciptor available.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes the 108 will burn Go5 at 12x but watch the clock and see how much time its saves over a 8x burn..... All of 10 secs on the one i did....
    Get some TY2 and it will stretch to 16x..
    Not bothered by small problems...
    Spend a night alone with a mosquito
    Quote Quote  
  7. Be AWARE about 12x burning with the DVR-108 drive, I don't know how this varies between different drives. Time the burns, and when I say time.. Don't rely on the time shown by the software. Get a stopwatch, watch the clock, or something. Burning at 12x seemingly CAN take up to about 2 minutes LONGER than it does at 8x, this lame phenomena occurs due to "switch" points the drive uses to bump up its speed when it hits a certain part of the burn. Hitting the switch points causes a delay which explains the longer burn time. I suggest doing two identical data burns at 8x, and 12x; timed. You may just find that 8x is actually 'faster'.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When burning at 8X /from the hard drive/ the dvd burner changes speed twice. The burn starts at 6X then at ~400MB it switches to 8X then at ~2000 MB it goes up to 12X. Total burn time is 8-9 min. After that
    if you look at the disc against the light at certain angle you can notice 3 distinctive "rings" of different shades of the burning surface color which I assume correspond to the different burning speeds.
    I have both DVR107D and DVR108 and this holds true for
    Prodisc MCC 02RG20, RITEKG05 and TYG02 /al printable media/. The rings are most visible on Prodisc and least visible on TYG02. I haven't done any scans with KProbe but the reading tests with DVDInfoPro are OK and all discs play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Has anyone burned 8x media at 12x on Plextor 712? If so how goes it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone burned 8x media at 12x on Plextor 712? If so how goes it?
    Check the Plextor forum at cdfreaks.com
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=ed0843767e459c8ffd3544f0293b894f&forumid=43
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how do you burn the max speed of drive on less speed media? like burn 8x on 4x media?

I have a MSI DR8-A which is an 8x. In descriptions and reviews, it says that it can burn 8x with 4x media.

What I want to know is how is that done? The drive always detects that max capable of disc is 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a MSI DR8-A which is an 8x. In descriptions and reviews, it says that it can burn 8x with 4x media. Might aslo need firmware updating.
    Usually this relates to certain media...Not every 4x brand.
    Should be a list of campatable media on manufacture's site and what speed it will burn at.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iooi
    I have a MSI DR8-A which is an 8x. In descriptions and reviews, it says that it can burn 8x with 4x media. Might aslo need firmware updating.
    Usually this relates to certain media...Not every 4x brand.
    Should be a list of campatable media on manufacture's site and what speed it will burn at.
    Not sure if you read the Sticky on dvd labels. but does that apply to printable dvds too?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Solarflair
    Not sure if you read the Sticky on dvd labels. but does that apply to printable dvds too?
    ??? Sorry you lost me there ???

Dont matter if they printable or non-printable some brands will not burn faster than they say....
    Quote Quote